Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Do I Remove The Inlet Manifold On My 2.0 D4D (2004 Avensis D-Cat

CHERRYVILLE

Hi all, today I removed the EGR valve for cleaning due to usual EGR problem symptoms and advice from here on the forum.

EGR valve was not as bad as I had expected but will benefit from the thorough clean in any case.

While in the area I thought it best to remove the housing ( ? correct name) which is attached to the end of the inlet manifold next to the EGR valve and what a surprise I got here!

It was very blocked up with a 'dampish soot' with some solid lumps visible as well just inside the inlet manifold itself.

This housing splits in two which allows for thorough cleaning of both parts.

The inside of the manifold has a lot of soot type build-up in it.

With not having time and needing the car back on the road ASAP today I decided the manifold will wait for another day in the near future.

Upon viewing the manifold area I can see the fuel injector feed pipes will require removal in order to lift the manifold away. My problem is knowing haw many nuts / studs have to be undone to remove the manifold. I can see a row pretty much central to the manifold but is there another row lower down covered by a strip of sponge. I could not quite see and was pressed for time to get everything buttoned back up again.

I have searched the forums on how to remove the manifold but no joy and always get led into the EGR saga.

Can someone give me some details on how to safely remove the manifold for cleaning, in fact I really want to clean the entire induction system and hopefully the turbo with all hoses etc as well.

With inside the manifold as bad as it is I reckon there is a need to do the whole system.

Tips and cautions welcome.

I have this Avensis 7 years now of trouble free motoring so no problem spending a day or two on it to keep it healthy.

T.I.A. of your responses .

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi there,

No responses here but did you ever get anywhere with this?

My Avensis could do with the same treatment.

Cheers,

I done mine about 2years ago set a full weekend for it if you're in a rush to get it back on the road by Monday.I started at early morning and finished late evening very mucky job.take your time and watch where you put each nut and bolt.take the Battery off and leave car over night before starting work on it as fuel pressure is extremely high and dangerous. Best clean the egr right through to intake manifold if you can.use an old vacuum cleaner to suck out the soot from inside the engine I used an old piece of hose taped onto the vacuum end.

• 7 months later...
On 5/31/2017 at 3:45 PM, frankie406 said:

I done mine about 2years ago set a full weekend for it if you're in a rush to get it back on the road by Monday.I started at early morning and finished late evening very mucky job.take your time and watch where you put each nut and bolt.take the battery off and leave car over night before starting work on it as fuel pressure is extremely high and dangerous. Best clean the egr right through to intake manifold if you can.use an old vacuum cleaner to suck out the soot from inside the engine I used an old piece of hose taped onto the vacuum end.

I want to do the same on my Avensis, but I don't seem to find any videos or how to do it. The fuel  metal pipes, when you unbolted them , were they easy to put back together, did they require , and did you torque them?? and About the foam , it is glued??? and how did you put it back ? Thanks for the answer.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Did anyone get anywhere with this? I have the exact same issue with a filthy Auris I just saved from the Scrap man. EGR, Exhaust and Manifold absolutely rotten. I just can't quite believe I have to remove so much before I can get the manifold off/ out... 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links