Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mpg On Avensis 2.0 Diesel 2010

Tony Stockport

I've done nearly 3,000 miles in this car which had 100,000 on the clock and a full Toyota service history with it. I'm getting about 42 mpg.

My previous car was a Peugeot 406 which returned 38mpg over the 120,000 miles that I drove in it.

Now for a car that is seven years younger and has a sixth gear I was hoping for a better mpg figure.

So my question is Should I be expecting more economy from this car or is this it?

I realise that we all have different driving styles and we all have different types of journeys so that is why I included the figures from the Pug. I'm doing the same kind of journeys with the same style of driving, if anything, with the ridiculous cost of fuel, I'm even lighter on the accelerator and freewheel more.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

My new 2010 2.0d Verso with presumably the same engine did an easy 50-60 mpg

I've done nearly 3,000 miles in this car which had 100,000 on the clock and a full Toyota service history with it. I'm getting about 42 mpg.

My previous car was a Peugeot 406 which returned 38mpg over the 120,000 miles that I drove in it.

Now for a car that is seven years younger and has a sixth gear I was hoping for a better mpg figure.

So my question is Should I be expecting more economy from this car or is this it?

It may be younger but it's possibly heavier & got more emissions equipment on it (I haven't checked performance figures either). & Winter will knock a few mpg off your Summer figures.

Having said that the 2012 model year gained a revised version of that engine & something like a claimed 15% improvement in mpg iirc.

• Like 1

100K it probably needs a good decoke. 3rd gear full bore down the motorway for 50 miles should mop it out. :drunk:

• Like 1

I have an Avensis 2.0 Diesel 2007 and get 44mpg over a 12 month period (87,000 miles on the clock). Better than 32mpg for my old petrol 1.8 Avensis though!

By-the-way, isn't freewheeling a false economy with fuel injected cars? I thought fuel is cut off when the engine isn't under load but if you freewheel the engine has to maintain tickover.

2010 model T4 Tourer purchased new June 2010. Mid 40's this time of year with virtually all driving on B roads very rarely any urban driving.

On my trips to France in summer around 50 to 55 mpg.

Never have managed any where near the quoted mileage but then never expected to.

• Like 1

2010 T4 D-4D from new with 39800 miles on clock. Overall average from zero miles is 41.6. Best achieved during ownership is 53.84 travelling light from Newcastle to Cardiff and back. Journies to south of France with full payload comprising 4 adults and full half size roof box were 44 ish and that is at full belt (within legal limits of course) on English and French motorways

Reasonably satisfied but nowhere near the published figures contained in Toyota sales literature.

Hope thats of some help

Thanks for all the comments. I'm not sure if I feel better or not but good to hear that it's not just me that doesn't get close to the quoted figures for economy.

I did a burst on the motorway in 3rd but didn't get the cloud of black smoke that I'd get on previous cars so that shows that the engine is quite clean. However, and it may be coincidence, the figures are slightly up since I did that.

My conclusion is that the Pug was a very efficient engine in its day, it was certainly good in other ways too and the Toyota isn't as advanced as I'd hoped. Maybe the reviewers shouldn't just adopt the manufacturer's figures without checking them out.

I forgot to mention that between getting rid of the Pug (an octogenarian lady kindly wrote it off for me) and getting the Avensis I was driving a Volvo V50 1.6 for ten weeks. The car was awful to me but it did return 52-56mpg over that period without me really trying. It was an Eco engine that was terribly underpowered eg it would stall in 1st on the slightest incline if you didn't give it enough revs. So maybe because of that I'd expected more economy from the Avensis.

I've done 240 miles in the car today and I find it very comfortable. I think I've bought the right car.

My next car will probably have to be a hybrid unless the price of fuel comes down to a reasonable level.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

Tony

the official combined figure for your car is 54.3mpg. However, it's known that the official EU figures are rarely achieved in real life- Which's tests show typically an average of 17% less than the official. That would equate to 45mpg - but even Which's tests are done in a wind-tunnel rather than actually on a road.

Allow for a couple of mpg down due to Winter temps & you are there.

Production of the engine in your car goes back to 2005 (& obviously designed prior to that) so it's not quite as modern as you may have thought. As I said they tweaked it in 2011 supposedly gaining 15% in fuel economy whilst substantially lowering emissions.

• Like 1

I have the 2012, 2L facelift saloon model. I experimented with all the usual recommendations for over 6 months before accepting that the car was never going to better 44-45 in Summer and 41-42 in Winter.

Love the car but gutted that I didn't get the petrol model knowing what I do now. My previous MKI petrol gave 32-38 depending on if I was trying or just driving.

• Like 1

It seems from this topic and another one on this forum I've just read the Avensis isn't the most economical diesel. This is a real shame because in every other department it seems superior to the other cars I've driven in the last 12 months (Peugeot 406, Passat, Volvo).

Hey ho!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links