Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Back To The Missing Oil Issue (Supposedly Burning A Lot But No Smoke T

waqar_lionheart

Hi All,

I am sure most of you are probably now bored of this oil burning issue. But I am looking for some unanswered questions. I own a 1.8 vvti petrol manual avensis gs. It runs like a dream. Bar one problem. I am missing oil but I have no tell tale signs of burning it. i.e. the smoke and the whole hoopla that goes with it.

I did have my cam cover leaking quite badly which is now fixed and isnt leaking.its quite obvious when i look at it.

I have my injector seals leaking oil, its pooling in the grooves under the injection rail. This is the only plausible leak I can see.

I have no smoke (blue or white. I have only white which is condensation and goes away once car is up to temp). From what i know if there is blue smoke there is oil burning.

I am currently doing about 700 miles per litre and I believe its deteriorating. I am at a cross roads where I have to decide whether I wanna keep the car. it has no other issues at all. runs like a dream. I posted earlier today about many different reasons for loosing oil but I HAVE NO SMOKE. My engine's back side used to be covered in oil but now that has dried up. It took a long time after cam cover gasket replacement but it has now dried up.

One other problem about this oil business. I loose the oil so much quicker if i am doing long journeys. the average drops to about 400miles per litre. SHOCKING. Having said that I do hope I have a leak as opposed to a burning issue. I say that because recently drove it to Germany where I parked it overnight and moved it the next morning to find a puddle under my car of fresh blood OH I MEAN OIL :) :) :) :) :) :)... My hunch straight away was REAR MAIN SEAL but now I have no fresh oil to support that theory I love the car and I hate it. GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... I need some help with diagnosing where the hell all this oil is going. Why do I loose so much on a long journey. I definitely have a leak from all my injectors pooling small amounts of oil in the grooves where injectors sit as well as it run over top of intake manifold gasket and then covering rest of the engine block. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... I will fix that soon. I am currently looking for new o-rings for my injectors if anyone knows where to get them as a set that would be really appreciated.

One thing is for sure I have no smoke but I have oil loss and I am pretty sure if i was burning oil so much (the average i have described above) i would definitely have smoke. AGAIN GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Looking forward from hearing from you all.....

Regards,

Waqar

I may be being a bit thick here but I don't think injectors are lubricated so the source of your leak should be at a point higher up on the engine than the injectors - probably the rocker/camshaft cover gasket. If you topped your engine up when you parked it in Germany that would also indicate your rocker/camshaft cover gasket. Fresh oil added to the top of the engine leaking straight out past the gasket and forming a nice clean puddle on the ground beneath the car.

I will be getting a first hand look at the engine again soon. The last time it was getting dark.

The videos were okay, but the first one with the petrol leak test was still not conclusive to me. What I need to see is the engine rebuilt and ran for a few thousand miles, with the oil level monitored to confirm the fix has worked!

Waqar, I would say it is an oil leak having not smelled any petrol. If it was fuel then it would be a fire risk.

I was at a breakers yard and a green Avensis vvti was being stripped. While it was on the car lift I took the opportunity to remove the rear bearing hub I needed. It was easy and I understood the rear disk/parking drum brake system so now know how to work on them.

Back to the oil leak, Waqar you drove a long distance at high speeds with engine operating at around 3000 rpm. Plenty of time for the oil to be blown out.

Let us find this leak and sort your car. The internal engine fix is a no go right now.

Konrad

Cheers Chaps,

I look forward to seeing you Konrad. We ll sort out a time soon.

Druid boy: You are not being thick at all. I have to say that it has me stumped. About the oil spill in Germany, the top up was after the spill. I have to say that I cant recall whether my cam cover gasket was replaced after or before. BUT about the injectors, there is definitely a fresh puddle of oil in the grooves underneath the injectors. Area about the injectors is completely dry and clean. Front wall of the engine block (by front I mean the side of my car where intake is plugged in. I know 7AFE has it the other way around) has a think sheet of fresh oil. As I said, I am stumped. I ll post some pictures soon.

Regards,

Waqar

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links