Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Aygo

richie  123

i have bought a 55 plate aygo, engine is sweet as a nut, put it in gear and drive and it sounds as though it has a knock, and a the more you put your foot down the more it knocks ...

with it being the cv engine ive been told this is normal..

it only does it when you drive...

something is telling me it could be the clutch

as anyone out there had problems with knocking while driving on the aygo ????

Topic moved to the Aygo club.

What do you mean by 'the cv engine' - if you're referring to the Aygo unit as a constant velocity engine, as far as I'm aware it isn't.

what is it then mate... and have you come across what im talking about .

The petrol Aygo uses Toyota's 1.0 litre three cylinder engine - used in the Aygo, IQ, Yaris and other Toyota and Daihatsu vehicles.

The diesel Aygo uses the PSA 1.4 four cylinder HDi engine.

Nothing special about the operation of either engine.

well well, that was a garage that came out with that statement......

anybody out there looking in come across what im talking about ???

its definitely to do with the drive side of the car..

thinking about putting it up on stands to see exactly where the noise is coming from before removing the box....

already bought a new clutch when i bought the car, knowing the clutch on the aygo has a fault..

2 year guarantee, which i think is ok for what i paid.

what sort of time to change the clutch on one.... i am mechanically minded and would appreciate any tips

Maybe if your were more comprehensive about your problem people could help, but so far all we have had is ill informed nonsense.

I suggest you take a deep breath and start again step by step then maybe we Aygo drivers may be able to assist you in clear English..

Right lets start again....

I bought a aygo about a month ago for the wife. A 1 litre vvti

The clutch had been taken up so I backed it off so the peddle wasn't under my chin.

I took it for a run and found that while it was stood running out of gear it sounds sound.

Put it in gear and drive wether it in 1st to 5th its making a knocking noise from under the bonnet ..... Where from... I don't know ...

That's why I said in the last post .. I believe it to be from somewhere on the drive side for obvious reasons.

I'm going to put up on stands today and see if I can pinpoint where the knocking is coming form ....

Its been serviced by my self and that's all I can tell you .

It doesn't knock when you give it gas out of gear.

It's only while it's driving

At the risk of starting a red herring disappearing down a rabbit hole ...

You say "the more you put your foot down the more it knocks", then that certainly suggests transmission rather than engine. It occurs to me that, if the garage talked about a "CV <something>" they might have been referring to the Constant Velocity (CV) joints. If one of these is on it's way out, then it can make a clicking or knocking noise, typically when the car is steered round a corner. Another possibility is a wheel bearing. So some other diagnosis you could try:

1. Does it happen when you drive straight ahead, or when you have full lock ? Is it worse when cornering ?

2. A wheel bearing problem ought to show up if you jack the car up and see if there's excessive play on the wheels.

At the risk of stating the obvious (sorry) I think you'll get a knocking noise if one or more wheel nuts are loose, but you've checked that haven't you ?

Aye I've gone through the wheel nuts lol.

The sound is both on lock and straight mate.

Before I put it up on stands this afternoon..

I'm going to get it on a hill and free wheel it, which will in my opinion cancel the cv joints out in one...

I have a gut feeling its the clutch that's snapped a strap....

Anyone taken a box out ??? If so ...what sort of job is it ?

An excellent video, but I know I won't be attempting this job :lol:

The courtesy car I had which was a 63 plate makes a funny noise under acceleration and I have heard quite a few do it as well.

I don't think it anything to worry about tbh.

Try this

Wow I'll never forget that noise. Interesting to see a guy actually doing the work and showing where the clutch is too.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links