Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any Worries About Buying A Rav Xt3 With Mileage Of 120,000 ?

Zincubus

Hey peeps .

Thinking about getting a 2004 Rav XT3 , MOT Feb 2015 .

Looks great and I'm happy enough with the price but the mileage is 120,000 ..

We will part ex our W reg 2000 Rav Sport and that's only it 80,000 on the clock.

I'm thinking that 120,000 isn't too extreme for a Toyota Rav .... comes with service history

Any thoughts ?

Petrol or diesel?

I have an XT2 diesel with almost 140K and it's fine. Get the occasional overboost warning p1521 mainly when towing the caravan but just clear it with a hand set code reader. (It's happened since 70K so clearly not a really serious problem). Got through a couple of clutches but do a lot of towing. 1st one was a DMF failure. 2nd was wear and tear. Now running on a solid flywheel conversion with no problems and much much cheaper.

XT3 is leather trim which is why we didn't buy it as my wife is allergic to leather. Don't think there are any other differences.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Petrol or diesel?

I have an XT2 diesel with almost 140K and it's fine. Get the occasional overboost warning p1521 mainly when towing the caravan but just clear it with a hand set code reader. (It's happened since 70K so clearly not a really serious problem). Got through a couple of clutches but do a lot of towing. 1st one was a DMF failure. 2nd was wear and tear. Now running on a solid flywheel conversion with no problems and much much cheaper.

XT3 is leather trim which is why we didn't buy it as my wife is allergic to leather. Don't think there are any other differences.

Hope this helps

Thanks ... Petrol incidentally

It all depends if the price reflects the mileage. The petrol 4.2 is a good car and may well have plenty of life if it's been looked after (service history?). Might not be such a good idea to buy a car with this sort of mileage if you do a high annual mileage.

It all depends if the price reflects the mileage. The petrol 4.2 is a good car and may well have plenty of life if it's been looked after (service history?). Might not be such a good idea to buy a car with this sort of mileage if you do a high annual mileage.

Thanks it's asking price is £3000 less whatever we get for ours .....around a thousand .... so it will cost us £2,000 plus ours .

We only do 5,000 miles per year ( 100 per week) .

Price is in the right ballpark and covering 5k miles per annum should give you a few years motoring. Given the age and mileage of the car - a dealer would only give a limited warranty. Therefore check the car carefully and watch for you're not going to land a significant bill in the short term (eg tyres only just above the legal limit)

Price is in the right ballpark and covering 5k miles per annum should give you a few years motoring. Given the age and mileage of the car - a dealer would only give a limited warranty. Therefore check the car carefully and watch for you're not going to land a significant bill in the short term (eg tyres only just above the legal limit)

Thanks for taking the time ..... the Rav appears to have been sold and we now have our sights set on a 2002 NRG , one lady owner and full service history , with only 66,000 miles on the clock .It had just been through an MOT so it's MOTd till 28/05/15 so it seems like a fairly safe buy . I'm useles with cars but if it's been given the OK a few days ago surely can't be too much wrong with it ....

It's for sale at £3,400 and they will allow £1,200 on ours somwe will pay £2,200 .

Hi Zincubus,

Had a 97 Rav4 Automatic for 8 years with full service history in small local garage, mostly oil and filter, Final Mileage.... 216,000, and still going like a Swiss watch when I sold it, that's way I have another one (an 02)

Hi Zincubus,

Had a 97 Rav4 Automatic for 8 years with full service history in small local garage, mostly oil and filter, Final Mileage.... 216,000, and still going like a Swiss watch when I sold it, that's way I have another one (an 02)

Thanks ....I'm a Rav lover myself but I know NOTHING about cars , sadly , that's why I have to keep pestering everyone in here :(

Any thoughts on the Rav I mentioned previously .... mileage 66,000 ?

Should it have had the " camshaft " job done at 60,000 like the Ravs Mk1 do or is it not a concern as they apparently have a chain rather than a belt ??

If it's a petrol then the camshaft is chain driven - so no issue. If it's diesel, it has a belt which needs changing at 60K miles. These are good reliable cars but at 12 years old - this example needs to be checked carefully. The seller is legally obliged to give a warranty but this may well be restrictive - you may want to take someone along who is more familiar with the workings of cars. Theres also the option of getting the car professionally checked out - from around £200.

If it's a petrol then the camshaft is chain driven - so no issue. If it's diesel, it has a belt which needs changing at 60K miles. These are good reliable cars but at 12 years old - this example needs to be checked carefully. The seller is legally obliged to give a warranty but this may well be restrictive - you may want to take someone along who is more familiar with the workings of cars. Theres also the option of getting the car professionally checked out - from around £200.

Thanks ...it's a petrol so sounds as though the camshaft isn't a problem .

The Rav was MOT'd a few days ago and the ad says its MOT runs out next May ( 28/5/15 ) .

There's a full service history and it says that they welcome any inspections of whatever .

The MOT apparantly states that there are no "advisories" . I'm feeling as though it's probably a good , safe buy given that it's been inspected by an MOT garage days ago and there's no advisories .

Presumably if it drives like a dream and the clutch and gearbox are fine plus it runs well ---

it should be fine :). ??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links