Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Painting My Rear Centre Panel

JappyBeast

So Jimlad is sending me a rev3 rear centre panel and I want to spray it black.

Apart from the black paint and primer, what else do I need? its got to look really polished with no dodgy dull flat look.

How do I get a professional looking finish?

Firstly its very important to make sure the its clean and if its smooth you'll need to sand it down to let the paint bite onto something.

Apply as many layers of paint and primer as you can until you have built it up enough that any imperfections are hidden and its is equal all over.

Worth doing though! :D :thumbsup:

Do I need to laquer it or something.. its got to carry a reflection like the rest of my car. Do I T-Cut it after painting it?

Dead easy.

1. If it's a plastic surface you'll need plastic primer(or etching primer) otherwise the paint will flake off.

2. sand any shine off the surface gently with WET 400 Grade wet and dry paper. Fill any dents and marks with filler. Let it dry and wipe the panel with meths to degrease it. Try to avoid touching the final surface with your fingertips as much as possible.

3. Apply primer in thin coats (4 or 5 should do)

4. Fog some dark paint over the primed surface, giving a really light speckled effect. This is the guide coat. Gently Flat the primer with DRY 400 grade wet and dry paper (primer is porous) until the guide coat is removed. You should be left with a really smooth base for the colour.

5. Apply the Final colour paint in several thin even coats.

6. When dry Gently sand out any high spots, runs and defects with Wet 800 Grade wet and dry, wiping it dry with an old Chammy as you go. When you've done this you will be left with a dull, Matt finish (but silky smooth).

7. Degrease again and spray on clear lacquer in several even coats.

8. When fully dry, Flat the lacquer Gently with Wet 1000-1200 Grit wet and dry. This will remove any overspray.

9. Finally polish the lacquer ( T Cut will do for this.)

10. :thumbsup:

Take your time with it. You'll never get the end product if the prep work is rushed.

Good Luck

Rich

Thanks boro, thats the sort of detail I needed..

Gonna get the stuff on Saturday and give it a bash. Cant wait to get my new lights on.

If it's non-metallic, you won't need lacquer, you will be able to polish up the base coat with T-Cut just fine, most non-metallic paints aren't lacquered anyway. Other than that spot on, just take your time and don't rush. I used to spray professionally, and I can tell you that impatience can spoil an otherwise good job. Good luck mate :)

what about clear coat, dont u need that to get the same finish as the rest of the car?

-Z

i think if ur cars metalllic u'll need the clear coat.

I had a go at my door and didnt realise it needed til after id finished all the work and put the laquer on. then i was sat there thinking this look dull as compared ot the rest of the car, dammit i need clear coat. Still not got round to clear coating it...

-Z

You're painting it black Jappy ??

Get a bodyshop to do it mate... £50 at the very most, then at least you'll know it's good.

Jimlad.. chose black coz the lights are black and it will sorta keep it inline with the rev1 look..lol.

Dude... dont want to spent £50 when its only staying black for a month.. going for a full re-spray in a mental colour soon.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links