Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Odd Humming From Off Side Front Wheel

WoolyFox

Evening all,

Have started to notice a loud humming from the off side front wheel when driving around 35mph. First noticed about a week ago but has steadily got louder since then. Steering isn't any different and braking is as sharp as ever. I suspect it's the wheel bearing (after nearly 100k miles it seems likely) and if so is it an easy job to fit if I got the parts and props to replace it?

Car is a 51 reg T sport but I guess all brake and wheel components are same for the Yaris models of that period.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wooly

The procedure is:

jack vehicle safely off the ground,remove wheel and tyre.

Remove axle retaining nut.

Remove balljoint nut and bolt,pry down on lower control arm,and disengage balljoint and lower arm from spindle.

Now the axle can be released from the hub,but leave the other end of the axle in the trans,just set off to the side out of the way.

At this point,there are two ways to change the bearing.The wheel bearing is a double roller,cartridge type with the hub containg the wheel studs,pressed into the bearing.

Remove the entire spindle assembly from the suspension strut,OR leave the spindle attached to the strut,and remove the bearing and hub from the spindle.

Some guys swear by taking the spindle to a press,and pressing the bearing assembly out with a bottle jack.

I just use a bushing driver set,and ball peen hammer,and remove the hub from the bearing...then remove the snap ring retaing the bearing in the spindle,then drive the bearing out of the spindle with the hammer and drivers.

There you have it.

Reverse procedure for reassembly

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links