Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1996 4 Door.. Where's The Tvss?

cybersplice

Hi folks!

I've done a lot of googling on this, and am coming up with very little.. I'm looking to find out where the TVSS is on my 1996 RAV 4.

The internet gives me conflicting info; behind the driver's side kick plate, driver's side cowling, under the carpet, behind the glove compartment...

I've ordered a fob on eBay which I intend to reprogram, but I need to press the button on the TVSS to reset the system.

Hope someone can help!

On this era Toyota the TVSS ECU is either in the centre console or behind the side kick panel on the drivers or passenger side. It's readily identified by a green push button on top of the unit. When you press this reset button - ensure that all doors are closed.

Thanks for your help, gjnorthall. I couldn't find anything but a big silver box in the central column, so far. I found this behind the glovebox. It had an antenna on it, which makes me a bit sus. Have I found a weird machine?

post-144472-141521811928_thumb.jpg

From an earlier topic I got the following info:

Alarm Model Number: 918T Part number 00270-01041
Immobiliser Model Number 901T Part number 00270-01042

So from the part number on the device, it appears that is the alarm.

So am I still looking for a box with a little button? :D

I don't think that box is here. The stickers on the car suggest a Toyota tvss, and the manual had a picture of a tvss iiib fob... But this alarm seems to be a scorpion alarm which the internet tells me is a bit rubbish.... Think I may have wasted money on this fob on eBay!

Some of the early Toyota alarms were rebadged Scorpion - can't really see anyone fitting a Scorpion alarm - you'd need two fobs - one for the alarm and the other for central locking. Can I just check what you've got

- A Toyota key with an impregnated chip to deactivate the immobiliser?

- Locking or unlocking a door operates the central locking?

- You don't have an original remote fob?

- The fob you've bought is two-button?

I've got a Toyota key which I suspect has an immobiliser transponder. The fob I'm bidding on is this one: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=171525993239&alt=web . If I lock or unlock the drivers side lock, it unlocks the central locking. I'm not sure the immobiliser is operating at all. I read somewhere that wrapping the key in foil may block the immobiliser and fail to start, but it runs normally. Of course, this trick could be nonsense..

Wrapping the key head in foil should test the immobiliser - or simply getting a plain key cut to the original. The fob you're bidding on isn't the correct one for the early Rav - the correct one is a symmetrical shape (oblong with rounded corners) with the buttons in the centre. Because of their age - they don't appear that often on eBay. There are loads of different transponder keys and fobs for the Rav and you're on a hiding to nothing if it doesn't match up to the ECU.

Yes, it seems like I'm on to a loser. Thanks for your help, just the same. Foil wrapping doesn't prevent the car from starting, so I reckon this unit has been bypassed.

• 4 months later...

I also have a key thats not working right. micro switches are dead :S..

new key cost 200 euro!..

i also have the TVSS-IV-S alarm and wondering of a fob key would work.

on the start part: u might have a transponder key..

open it up, remove the black part? and car wouldn't start.

No need for foils :).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links