Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Eco Switch

Roker

A friend of mine is about to purchase a Corolla 1.3 2012.

It has a ECO switch on the dash below the steering wheel, can someone tell me what this is for?

It does not have any AC system, I suspect it is to stop the engine at traffic lights etc

Probably has the same stop/start system as fitted to the 1.33 Auris. The Eco switch disables the stop/start system temporarily should the driver desire. The stop/start will be re-enabled by default when the ignition and engine are next turned on

So does this stop the engine after a time when the car is at rest, and how is it restarted again?

The stop/start system will stop the engine when the car has come to rest and remains stationary for a few seconds, dependent on a number of conditions. For example if the outside temperature is below 3 degrees centigrade the stop/start system may not activate, and cut the engine. Also if there is a high electrical load on the car's systems (eg. having the heated rear window, heater, radio, etc all on) the system, again, may not cut the engine.

This is designed to save fuel, reduce emissions, etc.

The engine will re-start when the clutch is depressed to select first gear.

As I said previously, if the driver wishes to temporarily disable the stop/start system, they can press the Eco switch.

I'm on my second Auris with stop/start, and both have behaved faultlessly. It is useful in city traffic, as it can give some peace whilst you're waiting in traffic (living in Birmingham with relatively heavy city traffic, stop/start can be pleasant to use).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links