Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Fluid

tarantula_123

Hi,

Which dot brake fluid do I need for a 2003 Corolla T Sport?

Also, how much would be required for a full all round fluid bleed/change.

Thanks,

tarantula_123

DOT3 or DOT4 should be OK.

You might get away with just 1 ltr but usually get 1.5 or 2 ltrs when doing my standard rolla so I can give everything a really good flush, plus I have a bit over incase I spill anything.

Not sure if your brake master cylinder reservoir is a dual chamber for the clutch as well ? but either way worth doing the clutch line as well.

Everyones got their own favourite way of bleeding, but have used the Gunson bleeder for many years and it makes it a simple one man job.

• Like 1

I bought 1x 1ltr and 2x 0.5ltr, still have one half litre unopened.

Like Oldcodger said, can be done with 1ltr but since it was my first time I used 1.5ltr just to make sure I flushed all of the old stuff (I felt confident that it was a job well done).

Ok thanks, I bought 2 of the Pagid litre bottles (dot 4).

Now onto fitting. Cheapest I have had for labour on discs/pads/brake fluid flush is £60.

I would do it myself but I am a little curious about the rear calliper piston. Do you need a different tool for the front? Would this tool work for both (see below),

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Caliper-Piston-Wind-Back-Rewind-Double-End-Tool-For-Ford-Audi-VW-449773-/271971474440?hash=item3f52c35c08

Thanks,

tarantula_123

Believe the Tsports brakes are just a standard pistons like the 1.4/1.6 so to get the caliper off, I usually just pull the caliper towards me which is just enough movement of the piston to release the caliper from the pads

The rears are just smaller versions of the fronts.

When refitting you can do the same or if too tight carefully use a largish G clamp, ensuring it does not damage the piston surface or rubber cover.

Whatever you use, push the pistons back slowly to avoid damage to the master cylinder; some suggest clamping the brake hose and opening the bleed nipple instead to avoid that problem, though not something I have had a problem with.

Having said that, if removing the calipers, assume you are doing more work to the brakes than just bleeding them ?

Replacng the discs and pads ?

Do you know about cleaning and lubing the slider pins ?

What method of bleeding are you going to use ?

What sequence of wheels are you going to bleed ?

You might find a book like the Haynes manual very helpful, though it only covers the standard models, not the Tsport, though many features / jobs just the same proceedure.

Hi,

Yes I am replacing pads/discs all round, but I am a little sceptical about doing the brake bleed myself.

I am not sure about slider pins.

The sequence would be front and rear either side at a time, to double check first that the items fit as they were purchased off eBay.

So would this piston rewind tool work for both the rear and front pistons?

I am struggling to find a video for the t-sport which shows this.

Thanks,

tarantula_123

Doing you own brakes is not rocket science, however its more a case of knowing what to do correctly.

Any mistakes and the consequences can be more than painful...

Regarding that wind back tool, if you see this link it shows one being used, and as you can see its that adaptor plate that is the key.

Unless you have one that fits your caliper, then using an Audi one might not work at all or do some damage if it slip off etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-CALIPER-PISTON-REWIND-WIND-BACK-TOOL-KIT-22-PCS-21PCS-34PCS-/251057931956

This video shows using a G or C clamp to wind back the piston ,though you are only talking about a mm or 2. there is no need to push it to the extreme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Iiag3mKJw

For bleeding the brakes that Gunson bleeder kit makes it so simple, come with instruction.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/gunson-brake-bleeding-kit-14-piece-set/33881?cm_sp=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=225506#_=p

My 1.6 rolla sequence is FNS, FOS the RNS , ROS, is the Tsport the same ?

As well as usual spanners etc , have you also got -

Bleed Nipple Spanner - m8 if I remember right.

One of - ScotchBright/wirewool/wet and dry for cleaning the hub face before fitting the new disc.

One or two cans of Brake cleaner spray.

Copper Grease

Silicone or Red Rubber Grease , the latter available in small pots on eBay for about £2

A tall can or rubber tie up to hold the calipers once removed from the hub so you do not stretch /damage the rubber hoses.

A camera, to take picuture as you disassemble, partic any anti rattle springs /disc/ plate around the pistons / pads

While all the above sounds a lot, its all there in a normal garage, is it worth doing it yourself , time , cost and safety wise ?

It sounds a lot when someone who knows what they are doing can do it for just £60 I guess.

I will have a think about that one.

Not happy with my Corolla atm. Yesterday the muffler attached to the back box has snapped off (corrosion on the inner thin metal) so that is another repair needed now. On top of previously having the front wheel bearings and other bits and bobs replaced recently. I need a new interior light bulb and headlights as well, due to the left one going. I'm not sure which bulb I need and how to fit it for the interior though.

If it carries on being unreliable, then it would be a shame to have to get rid of it. Unfortunately, it isn't living up to the bullet proof reliability of my old Yaris.

It would be a shame to get rid of though, as the black five door models are rare.

Cheers,

tarantula_123

It sounds a lot when someone who knows what they are doing can do it for just £60 I guess.

If that £60 is for fitting the new discs, pads and bleeding the brake system then I would say its good value , as all those sundries you have to buy to do it yourself would be over £30.

However if you want to do it for your own peice of mind and experience, with a view of being able to do things like that in the future, then perhaps diy is the way ...?

Yesterday the muffler attached to the back box has snapped off

Thought the muffler was the back box ?? do you mean the tail pipe from the back box has broken off or the back box from the main exhaust pipe.

Expect the Tsport exhaust is a lot different to the standard one, perhaps already fitted with a cheap aftermarket one ? as someone might have wanted a sportier sound...?

I need a new interior light bulb and headlights as well, due to the

left one going. I'm not sure which bulb I need and how to fit it for the

interior though

You do not say which interior light, but generally they are just clipped in and need to be carefully prized out with a small thin blade; from what I have read, though never had to change them.

The headlights, even on the standard models are a pain to get at, and until you have learnt how to do one , they can seem difficult first time around.

Mine are H7 and I have upgraded them to Nightbreakers which do give a lot more light, but because of that, they only last 3 years or so.

No idea what are in your Tsports, again, have they been upgraded?

If it carries on being unreliable, then it would be a shame to have to

get rid of it. Unfortunately, it isn't living up to the bullet proof

reliability of my old Yaris.

Think you have to take things in contex, the Tsport is just that, and will surely have been given a much harder life than a standard car, plus at 12 years old you cannot expect perfection....

I'm assuming the exhaust would be the original due to the corrosion. A policeman/woman used to own the car beforehand, that's all I know on it's last owner.

And yeah the tailpipe.There is not enough pipe in which it was attached to in order to fit another one.

The cheapest I have been quoted is £120ish for a back box. Garages are struggling as apparently they are hard to get hold of. He said it will be fine to drive though as it is.

The inside light I mean is the one in the middle of the roof.

My headlights are standard I think. I had nightbreakers in my Yaris and they were the best I have ever had.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links