Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Two Years In A Yaris Hybrid

Alan_B

A year ago I posted here http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/163995-one-year-in-a-yaris-hybrid/ about my first year driving a Yaris Hybrid and in particular about what MPG I achieved. Now it's two years.

In that two years I have now driven a total of 20852 miles, used 1690.42 litres of petrol at a total cost of £2042.65. This works out at 56.08 MPG or 12.34 miles per litre or 9.80p per mile. The fuel consumption figures are almost identical to those I reported after one year but the average price per litre of petrol has fallen. So basically nothing has changed with regard to MPG. I have read suggestions that the MPG might improve with age but it hasn't happened to me at all yet. As I reported previously, I do a lot of short journeys of just a few miles so would not expect to achieve the best fuel consumption in any car (well maybe a plug-in hybrid would work for me).

I have only had one problem with the car which was a loose cable that would hit the wheels when turning on full lock. Other than that the car has been fine.

well done you! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My Auris Hybrid has 40,000 on the clock, and I only getting 52mpg on a good day :(

1 year on, 25,000 miles later I am still getting between 63 - 65 mpg on my daily 90 mile commute from Berkshire into central London.

I never use economy mode, or pump the tyres up, or try anything clever while driving. I just drive the car and go with the flow of traffic.

I am very happy with the economy of the car.

1 year on, 25,000 miles later I am still getting between 63 - 65 mpg on my daily 90 mile commute from Berkshire into central London.

I never use economy mode, or pump the tyres up, or try anything clever while driving. I just drive the car and go with the flow of traffic.

Wow

Is that mostly motorways?

Wow

About 50/50 motorways and town driving.

Wow

About 50/50 motorways and town driving.

My Auris if official 70mpg and real 59 (honest John)

What is yours?

In my case, I estimate that somewhere between 50% & 60% of my total mileage is on short journeys of just a few miles.

• Like 1

It seems to depend very much on traffic for me, but I get anywhere between 50 and 65 on the same journey. On the days where I get 65 I am in slow(er) traffic, not exceeding 50 MPH. The economy really comes up when I hit the 30 limits and can run on Battery power without too much change in speed.

Per tank, I seem to be averaging about 53-55 MPG, but on individual journeys my best so far was 67 MPG over 35 miles (mixed 30/60 limits).

It seems to depend very much on traffic for me, but I get anywhere between 50 and 65 on the same journey. On the days where I get 65 I am in slow(er) traffic, not exceeding 50 MPH. The economy really comes up when I hit the 30 limits and can run on battery power without too much change in speed.

Per tank, I seem to be averaging about 53-55 MPG, but on individual journeys my best so far was 67 MPG over 35 miles (mixed 30/60 limits).

Personally I think u done exceedingly well compared to my figures!

Then again it all depends on the driving style, the road conditions, the weather, how much gadgets u got on, the type and condition of tyres, fuel used, car regularly serviced and even the type of drivers u got around u etc etc and even maybe your car just more efficient than another identical hybrid!

But my short experience so far is better economy when kept in the ECO bands! :)

Having said that, I just discovered I been driving in NORMAL mode all the time! Eeeek!

So

Another full tank test on ECO mode some point in the future then .....

TBH whether your are in Normal, Eco or Power mode makes next to no difference to the economy if you have at least some control over your right foot ;)

It mostly just changes the response times to your accelerator pedal - On Eco it's very sluggish, on Power it's very sharp. Normal is... normal. I think Eco does try to reduce the amount of time the ICE is on, but that can actually make the economy worse because the Battery will spend more of its time mostly drained and not ready to provide torque when needed.

The trick seemed to be keeping it in the Eco band on the power meter (As opposed to the Eco mode button) and conserving as much momentum as possible (e.g. leaving bigger gaps so you can absorb some of the start-stop-start-stop when in traffic, and also so you can brake earlier and lighter to maximise regen.)

IMHO just stick to Normal and adjust your driving style, you'll be able to get to the 60's I'm sure :)

• Like 1

Thanks Cyker!

I was told to brake HARDER to maximise Battery charging....no?

It seems true as u can see the PWR dial at Max charging when brake hard and low charging when gentle braking ...

I was told to brake HARDER to maximise battery charging....no?

No, if you're using the brakes then you're wasting energy turning it to heat and not recharging the Battery. You never want to completely fill the charge indicator, if you are then you're wasting energy.
  • Like 1

Not entirely accurate chaps.

Stage 1 - Lightly Apply brake pedal. Power meter drops a little. Your using the regenerative braking - car starts to slow.

Stage 2 - Apply further pressure to the pedal - power meter drops to bottom of the dial - your using maximum regenerative braking - car is slowing 'faster'.

Stage 3 - Apply even more pressure to the pedal - Power meter needle remains at the bottom of the dial but now your using the conventional braking system as well as the regenerative system. Car slows faster still and stops.

It's stage three that's wasting energy and turning it to heat and not recharging the Battery ..NOT stages I and 2. Unless your light footed and or a Newbie it's likely that you'll blitz through stages 1 and 2 without realising it. Given familiarity with the car and some sensitivity in your foot....it's all there and it works.

• Like 1

Stage 1 - Lightly Apply brake pedal. Power meter drops a little. Your using the regenerative braking - car starts to slow.

Stage 2 - Apply further pressure to the pedal - power meter drops to bottom of the dial - your using maximum regenerative braking - car is slowing 'faster'.

Stage 3 - Apply even more pressure to the pedal - Power meter needle remains at the bottom of the dial but now your using the conventional braking system as well as the regenerative system. Car slows faster still and stops.

It's stage three that's wasting energy and turning it to heat and not recharging the battery ..NOT stages I and 2. Unless your light footed and or a Newbie it's likely that you'll blitz through stages 1 and 2 without realising it. Given familiarity with the car and some sensitivity in your foot....it's all there and it works.

This was what I noticed ref stage 1 and 2 - not done 3 yet! lol

It's stage three that's wasting energy and turning it to heat and not recharging the battery ..NOT stages I and 2. Unless your light footed and or a Newbie it's likely that you'll blitz through stages 1 and 2 without realising it. Given familiarity with the car and some sensitivity in your foot....it's all there and it works.

Stage 3 is when the charge segment is maxed out, this is what I've said above and is when you're using the brakes, and as mentioned above is wasting energy, which you've also confirmed.

Anyway my Yaris HSD is now gone. I did 50,000 in it over three years. Would I buy another one...absolutely, loved that car. Gave it to my wife who hated it and swapped it in for a new Aygo X-Cite Blue. Whilst I now loathe the Aygo. Uncomfortable, noisy slow and uneconomical compared to the Yaris. I was getting 57 to 62 ish day in day out with little effort. With a best of 69 (brim to brim real world not dash display).

I'll seriously look at another Yaris HSD when I buy our next car.

• Like 1

Anyway my Yaris HSD is now gone. I did 50,000 in it over three years. Would I buy another one...absolutely, loved that car. Gave it to my wife who hated it and swapped it in for a new Aygo X-Cite Blue. Whilst I now loathe the Aygo. Uncomfortable, noisy slow and uneconomical compared to the Yaris. I was getting 57 to 62 ish day in day out with little effort. With a best of 69 (brim to brim real world not dash display).

I'll seriously look at another Yaris HSD when I buy our next car.

U say u gave to wife....so what car u got yourself?

Yes the HSI CHG zone indicates how much of the available regen braking capacity you are using up.

When you press the brake pedal, you are requesting that the system provide braking power.

Having worked out how much braking power you are requesting, the system then finds out how much braking power can be supplied by the various braking systems (regen, friction and engine). It then decides which braking system does what with regen having priorty.

Most of the time, the regen braking system can provide all of the braking power requested. But there are times when it cant. Such as HV Battery too full, HV Battery too hot, not going fast enough, etc. At these times, you will shoot through the CHG zone very quickly.

• Like 2

Personally, I don't have to do a lot of stop-start driving and I think braking makes an almost negligible contribution to the overall charging of my Battery. But I regularly drive for a mile or so at 30 mph followed by about 2/3 of a mile at 50 mph. The Battery usually reads pretty low at the end of the 30 mph section and pretty full after the further 2/3 of a mile at 50 mph. I doubt that such rapid charging makes for good fuel economy but there is nothing I can do about it.

Hi Wayne - yes we swapped cars. I'm now in her old 12 plate Qashqai 4wd Auto 2litre TD. Had 12K on the odo but I'll soon push that up. My commute is 72miles a day round trip. Nowhere near as economical as the Yaris , though I did get it up to 46mpg this morning. Using my "Ninja Yarista" skills! :donatello:

But I won't be using the Aygo- well equipped but not for me. The rough A12 surface and the Aygo's short wheelbase make me feel sick in it. The Yaris was just right for me. Couple of years and I'll be buying another one.

Hi Wayne - yes we swapped cars. I'm now in her old 12 plate Qashqai 4wd Auto 2litre TD. Had 12K on the odo but I'll soon push that up. My commute is 72miles a day round trip. Nowhere near as economical as the Yaris , though I did get it up to 46mpg this morning. Using my "Ninja Yarista" skills! :donatello:

But I won't be using the Aygo- well equipped but not for me. The rough A12 surface and the Aygo's short wheelbase make me feel sick in it. The Yaris was just right for me. Couple of years and I'll be buying another one.

Lol

For a big 4x4 - that's good mpg :)

Bet u looking forward to snow with the Nissan :)

Interesting about the CHG zone - I have never seen it at the bottom except when I know I'm braking hard.

I can feel the mechanical brakes engaging (particularly at lower speeds) and let's say it was regen down to 20 MPH with the needle in the middle of the CHG zone, it doesn't drop to the bottom when the mechanical brakes apply.

Maybe I'm a lighter braker than I think???

Interesting about the CHG zone - I have never seen it at the bottom except when I know I'm braking hard.

I can feel the mechanical brakes engaging (particularly at lower speeds) and let's say it was regen down to 20 MPH with the needle in the middle of the CHG zone, it doesn't drop to the bottom when the mechanical brakes apply.

You must be a very light braker. Friction brakes will only come on when the chg indicator is full / at the bottom, or under light braking below 7/8mph.

Really?!!!

Either u live in a civilised part of society yet to be discovered or u 'really' drive like Ms Daisy!

I see my full charge (bottom of the CHG instrument) quite often - lol

But I ain't emergency braking or that - just a little harsher braking when I just missed the lights or just forgot to brake earlier !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links