Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Steering 'click'

the_hood

Hi, I'm new to the forum having just bought my first Toyota last Saturday for my wife.

As I was driving out of the dealership I noticed a clicking noise when turning left. I hadn't heard this on the test drive and didn't think to much of it thinking it'll just be a piece of loose trim, or something else quite minor.

Later that night I decided to Google 'Auris steering click' and I was surprised to see it wasn't uncommon on the Auris and Yaris. I phoned the dealer on Monday to make him aware of it and to his credit he didn't make a fuss and asked me to return the car.

I got a phone call yesterday saying that the Auris was ready for collection. When I enquired as to what was causing the noise I was told it was something in the steering column so it was replaced.

I'm guessing that's not a cheap part so it's quite fortunate for me that it happened so soon after buying the car.

Hi Nimbo, yes i suppose the noise you got, if it wasn;t anything to do with the indicator self-cancelling mechanism, was coming from the intermediate steering shaft which is a known issue eg http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/116356-clicking-noise-from-steering/

It's a sliding joint incorporated into the shaft which allows it to collapse in the event of an accident where you impact the airbag / wheel. Whole lot better the column collapsing rather than your chest area.

When I phoned a couple of Toyota dealerships asking what it could be (after I'd seen that it wasn't uncommon) they said that it could be a number of things. I then phoned the salesman from the Toyota dealership where I bought the car and mentioned what I'd found online. He was quite dismissive of it and even after speaking to the mechanics they were baffled. Was it the first time they'd seen this?

On the plus, they were happy to look over the car and replace the steering column after eliminating a few other possible causes. I'd hate to think what I'd be paying if this had happened 6 months from now.

• 3 weeks later...

Clicking steering column (for whatever reason) was fixed on my Auris as a recall when I purchased used. With no warranty Toyota garage near me fixed it at no cost to myself within a few days.

Have you had a look at the other recalls on the Auris? Things like the drivers side light switch? Maybe worth mentioning to your garage to check they have all been done.

I've checked for recalls and it seems to be fine. I might phone a Toyota dealer just to be sure.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links