Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid Research

AlexT15

Hi Guys

My name is Alex Tynemouth and I am an automotive engineering student from the University of Southampton. I am currently working on a research project which is trying to investigate the energy saving capabilities of Hybrid vehicles in the UK and study if driver's attitudes majorly effect the potential energy savings. The research is purely academic and I am using it for my dissertation hoping to get it published in an academic journal!

We are gauging drivers attitudes by a phone interview, asking questions involving driving scenarios and how to approach them, general consumption data and a person's educational background. Of course all data is used anonymously and is only being used for the research of this project.

If you are interested or want more information please contact me on my university email ajgt1g12@soton.ac.uk or post in the thread and I will send you a copy of the survey which you can read to ensure you agree with the use of your data and we can organize a convenient time for the phone interview.

Thanks for the help!

To be honest, I don't mind helping, but am only willing to answer a questionnaire or something. Seems a bit in depth what you're wanting to do.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply!

Unfortunately, as the project is running in tandem with a German study done in the same vein, the methods have to be replicated exactly, which means all data has to be collected via a phone interview.

However, if you drive an electric, petrol or diesel car there will be an online survey which can complete if you are willing!

I'm still just finishing this survey and will post the link when it's done!

Whether you ask me on the phone or in writing, I would give the same answers, so can't you put the telephone questions in writing? Surely it is the questions that matter (though I understand the scientific argument of consistency).

I can answer one question: driver attitude can have an impact on efficiency, yes. The technology definitely helps too, though - I tried driving my car HARD (in a way I wouldn't normally), basically flat-out acceleration anytime I accelerated, and braked late (but NOT dangerously!), and I couldn't dent the fuel economy as badly as I thought I might (I got a rubbish 45 MPG driving like that). I found it really quite difficult to drive that way for any length of time though.

It also matters which model of car you are talking about. Simply saying "Hybrid" is no good - a Prius will out-perform a Yaris in every way, for example.

...- a Prius will out-perform a Yaris in every way, for example.

er - not quite - I've had to pass a few parking spaces in my Prius that a Yaris would have got in! (sorry, couldn't resist!)

Seriously, I've been through the interview process with Alex and it was quite painless.

He sent me a copy of the survey questions in advance, and I made notes on it which helped the process but certainly isn't essential.

Whether you ask me on the phone or in writing, I would give the same answers, so can't you put the telephone questions in writing? Surely it is the questions that matter (though I understand the scientific argument of consistency).

I can answer one question: driver attitude can have an impact on efficiency, yes. The technology definitely helps too, though - I tried driving my car HARD (in a way I wouldn't normally), basically flat-out acceleration anytime I accelerated, and braked late (but NOT dangerously!), and I couldn't dent the fuel economy as badly as I thought I might (I got a rubbish 45 MPG driving like that). I found it really quite difficult to drive that way for any length of time though.

It also matters which model of car you are talking about. Simply saying "Hybrid" is no good - a Prius will out-perform a Yaris in every way, for example.

Hi,

Thanks for the response, unfortunately as painful as it is, we have to conduct the interviews via telephone to ensure we can be published in a journal!

As for using the term 'Hybrid', although we are interested in some mpg stats the study predominantly focuses on a driver's attitudes and strategies, we are trying to study the misconceptions people have about hybrid systems whilst driving and how this could possibly be remedied!

If you are willing, I could send a copy of the survey to you to see if you would be able to partake! I understand the telephone interview can be a bit of an inconvenience so please don't worry if it is too much to ask!

Thanks again

...- a Prius will out-perform a Yaris in every way, for example.

er - not quite - I've had to pass a few parking spaces in my Prius that a Yaris would have got in! (sorry, couldn't resist!)

Seriously, I've been through the interview process with Alex and it was quite painless.

He sent me a copy of the survey questions in advance, and I made notes on it which helped the process but certainly isn't essential.

How long did it take?

Hi,

No problem! Send me the questions via PM here, and we can sort out how to conduct the telephone part!

@PeteB: good one! :D I was thinking earlier about that comment... it's unfair as the Yaris is an excellent car! :D I haven't found anything I don't like about it, which is unusual (I always find something).

... it's unfair as the Yaris is an excellent car! :D I haven't found anything I don't like about it, which is unusual (I always find something).

Horses for courses!

I can't ever remember being as disappointed in a car as the 2012 onwards Yaris (Hybrid and non-Hybrid).

I was eagerly awaiting the Yaris Hybrid, and thought it would be my ideal car. I briefly owned a 2000 Yaris and a 2011 model.

Similar in size to the Mk 1 Prius I'd driven for 9½ years / 165,000 miles, loads of room for 4/5 people with little luggage if the sliding rear seat was all the way back (more room in the back than an Auris!). Masses of internal storage, with 2 passenger gloveboxes, one for the driver and a drawer under the front passenger seat. Both aspects about the best in class (best in any class for that matter).

When I test drove the Yaris Hybrid in 2012, my first impression was good - great drive, plenty of room up front for people, but one of the worst cars for oddment storage I've ever seen - one tiny glove box! That alone, ruled it out for me.

Trying out the back, even worse! No sliding seats, low roof meant getting in was hard, being in meant head cranked over at 45 degrees! And knees in the back of the front seats!

And the lovely mirror digital instruments - gone!

If they could have dropped the Hybrid system into the previous model, they'd have a world beater on their hands. I'm as a complete loss!

• Like 1

Yeah, I felt that way too; The Mk3 is a totally un-Yarisy car; It has none of the design elements of features that made a Yaris a Yaris. If they'd given it a different name it wouldn't have been so bad, but when they called it a Yaris I had certain expectations, none of which are fulfilled by the Mk3. (Except maybe the horrible turning circle :lol:)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links