Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement Second Key

RandomGuy

Hi all,

New Avensis owner, 1.8 petrol 2005, 113k. Only got 1 key with the car, how can I get a spare? Also remote doesn't work, red light shows on fob when pressed but wont lock/unlock remotely. Sorry mods for starting new topic, I could not figure out how to search the forum :fireman:

spare key - go to a dealer (this won't be cheap)

remote not working - this could be for a couple of reasons >go to a dealer.

Try the following links. It seems the key is out of sync. I had this with my Mk1 and there is procedure to fix this, in the cars handbook. Not sure about Mk2 Avensis. Also check fuses. In the Mk1, the "Dome" fuse is known the deteriorate, but not actually blow. Yours is different.

The dealer is expensive and there are automotive locksmiths, who could get your key working and supply a spare. Plus cancel any missing keys for obvious security reasons.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=73383

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/14389-how-to-program-avensis-remote/?p=716734#entry716734

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/72902-how-to-programm-key-fob-for-alarm-and-doors/

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/57908-spare-key-key-fob/

Once the key is fully working then, then it is easier and cheap to get a spare.

All Avensis (generally all Toyotas) usually come with two black keys with built in remote buttons, and one grey key with no buttons. When we bought a Micra with only one key, we got a second key one my advice. Then later my brother put his coat in the boot (keys in pocket) and locked himself out of the car. The car has keyless entry! His wife had to come with the second key. A good reason to have a spare!

• Like 1

Toyota stopped supplying a valet key (grey, buttonless) with new cars a few years ago.

As Konrad says, it can be very important to have a second key. I had an old VW Passat and got only one key with it. One day i unlocked it, put the key in the ignition from outside then closed the door while i cleaned the windows. The central locking system activated and left me outside with the (only) key inside! There was a fault with the system because it was only supposed to re-lock itself after 45 seconds if it was unlocked and no-one opened a door.

Fortunately i had Greenflag breakdown cover so they came and got it open. Those little inflatable air bag things that they fed in behind the window frame and the body then inflate them by hand. The window frame bowed outwards and they got a tool in to release the lock. Needless to say I got a spare key made after that.

• Like 1

I'd worry about who had the original sparekey & would my car gt...et nicked by some scr*at, no forced entry, no insurance payou

Toyota stopped supplying a valet key (grey, buttonless) with new cars a few years ago.

It must have been in the last few years because my Mk3 Tourer TR 58 plate has one. Say 2012 onwards.

Here are the keys of both cars with their valet keys: post-76861-0-53194700-1447163248_thumb.j

I think the valet keys are hardly used.

Oh yes a friend had only one key for his van, and the van was stolen using the spare. He got the van back after it was used in a robbery. That is why it is important to erase the missing key from the car, as well as getting a spare.

pretty sure that that they had stopped supplying the valet key before 2012. My car was produced in late 2011 & it doesn't have one.

pretty sure that that they had stopped supplying the valet key before 2012. My car was produced in late 2011 & it doesn't have one.

Remember my Mk3 is the first generation. There were some upgrades/updates around 2011, so the valet key could have been dropped then.

or at any point between 2009 & 2011. Devon Aygo or PartsKing probably know exactly.

When i bought my Auris brand new in March 2009 it only came with two keys. i was surprised and asked them where the valet key was but they confirmed it was no longer supplied by Toyota. It did come with a little plastic tag with the key number on it which Toyota advised you to keep safely because if you ever lost the keys and you did not have this number it would be very expensive to get new ones. Don't know what all would have been involved, i always kept the tag safely and never lost the keys.

When i picked up my present Auris i found they don't even give you a plastic tag. I queried this with the dealer and he said Toyota didn't supply them any longer, the info was all in the computer. They charged a flat rate of £150 for a new key.

• Like 1

Hi all and thanks for the replies. After some more research I managed to replace the Battery in my key fob and re code it. It now works remotely :D

Now that I know how to do this I cann buy a second hand key for the transponder and have a blank cut and reprogram..

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links