Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 D4D Ad-Ftv Problems - Oil Consumption

dkbkl

I had this car for last 3 years, had no problem with it, just some extra oil that I`ve added. Dealer in Belgium told me that we have to verify how much, they found that I am eligible for a change in warranty, so I went for it.

It has been 3 times 2 weeks in service and still not solved. All the time it has a very bad noise after 2500 rot, and a problem with gear changer - I can feel a sort of rotational tremble on it. They changed almost everything on it, but it is the same : turbocharger, DPF, catalytic converter, shaft assy, flywheel assy, etc. I don`t know what could It be. Please give me any ideas how to get back my car!

Thanks!

Have you read http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/ ?

It's long but high oil consumption is 1 of the signs of problems although it shouldn't happen on a 2012.

How many km on it?

It appears as though the OP has had a warranty repair for the oil consumption but since then has developed additional issues:

Poor gear shift, Vibration & Noise

In my experience of the rebuilds/repairs for oil consumption requiring the engine/transmission being removed the most likely cause is a misaligned engine mount, this is known to cause all of the above.

Thanks for the answers!

Now it is 65000 km.

In this case, what can I do? I don`t want to get my car back to the same dealer, can I go to another? How can I tell them that this is a misaligned engine?

PS: You mean inside the engine or the engine/transmission alignment? I read also about the balance shaft as a possible cause for this. Is there a repair manual or something specifically for this issue?

• 4 months later...

I've a 2012 rav 4  2AD with 33,429 miles. It has used 1.5 litres of oil in 3923 miles since last oil service @ RRG Huddersfield. This I thought was high so went along to Vantage Toyota @ Wakefield. On speaking to the service desk was told that Toyota had told them 1 litre - 1000 miles was acceptable. The chap did say they had pointed out to Toyota that for the uneducated among us there was the possibility it would run dry between the 12 monthly services. My last rav an 06 plate 2 AD didn't use a drop as such between services, what gives and what's the forum thoughts on this?

I understood that more than one manufacturer consider oil consumption of more than 1,000 miles per litre to be heavy. From the thread on the AD series engines one of the pointers to problems with the earlier AD series was oil consumption of more than 0.5 litres per 621 miles (1,000km).

As regards the comment below

'The chap did say they had pointed out to Toyota that for the uneducated among us there was the possibility it would run dry between the 12 monthly services.'

surely most vehicle manufacturers require that owners regularly check things like oil level, etc. Not doing this and letting the engine run dry, basically boils down to neglect on the part of the owner, and wouldn't be covered under warranty.

apart from the filter, why bother with the service,  none of the oil the the sump has anywere near the milage, 1lt to 1000 mile is a joke and the enine it at fault, even the recognised 1pt to 621 mile is a joke on today tolerances, something a miss and should be investigated by an engineer not a so called garage technician who in my exierience of my last service was a complete idiot.

B-A

Hi all,

I'm new on here but my 2012 Rav4 2.2 D-CAT Auto SR has drank around 4 litres of oil in the last 5k miles (since my purchase last August 2015). It has gone in for its first service with Toyota in Derby today and mentioned this on the phone when booking in. This morning the young chap who took my key told me that "Rav4s can use up to 1 litre per 1000 miles". I find this hard to believe. Any info appreciated (I read the Charliefarlie thread earlier) but I feel that a battle may be brewing as I still have 1 year left on my warranty.

TTFN

Matt

1 hour ago, findmatt said:

Hi all,

I'm new on here but my 2012 Rav4 2.2 D-CAT Auto SR has drank around 4 litres of oil in the last 5k miles (since my purchase last August 2015). It has gone in for its first service with Toyota in Derby today and mentioned this on the phone when booking in. This morning the young chap who took my key told me that "Rav4s can use up to 1 litre per 1000 miles". I find this hard to believe. Any info appreciated (I read the Charliefarlie thread earlier) but I feel that a battle may be brewing as I still have 1 year left on my warranty.

TTFN

Matt

The official figure is:

0.5lt/1000km or

0.5 lt/621miles (1lt/1242miles)

the kilometre/mile figure often gets mixed up, but 1 litre in 5000 miles is well within specification and not a fault.

13 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

The official figure is:

0.5lt/1000km or

0.5 lt/621miles (1lt/1242miles)

the kilometre/mile figure often gets mixed up, but 1 litre in 5000 miles is well within specification and not a fault.

Thanks for the response. Its burnt 4 litres so far. I am going to ask them to do an oil consumption test over the next 1000 miles

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links