Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Offside Wing Mirror Re-Assembly

fixitphil

Hi all,

Yesterday offside mirror meets oncoming offside mirror, Bang,

Result, Mirror housing slammed back releasing mirror glass still affixed to backing plate complete with the two yellow nylon activator stalks. Thank not the Murphey's law rule, this assembly hung loose on mirror heating supply wires. No damage (tough quality plastics) to thank.

Thanks to dear wife's advice, read Haynes manual on how to release mirror glass from carrier plate (black plastic complete with swinging yellow stalks) easy.

I applied grease to all the push to fit regions between glass carrier plate and fixed motor housing unit.

Whilst clamping closed one then the other yellow stalks and pushing through the actuator seal rubbers pushing them inside out (no choice) using long nosed pliers, pushed till felt solid click, (much sweat was observed) . Remember the delicate mirror glass is not fastened yet. Turn ignition on all works O.K.

With care reaffixed mirror glass to it's carrier.

Job done.

If I had been a surgeon I would have used lock on forceps to clamp the yellow stalks.

N.B. Don't disconnect the stalks from the carrier to try to push through rubber seals as seems the best way but NOT, as trying to clip ball sockets back together was impossible when I tried that way first. Plus the joint must articulate but not rotate due to a plastic process (pin) on the ball moulding.

Not sweating now.

P.S. adrenalin is good to keep alziemers ???? at bay. Well could be.

Best Regards

fixitphil

• Like 1

Great post. It would be worse for me as the GLS has colour coded mirror housing.

The Haynes manual comes to the rescue. I have had a manual with every car I owned. Sad the later Avensis has not been covered (yet).

Phil, can you get a photo of the inlet manifold vacuum switch, with the engine off over night? The reason is to see if it stays in position when off. Then another photo with the engine idling. The reason I need this is to see if mine is working properly.

Not much goes wrong, but when thing need fixing, it is not too difficult.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links