Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

100,000 Miles

Adam Zapple

I'm looking to buy a second hand Avensis at the moment and I've noticed a curious amount of cars being listed as having just under 100,000 miles in the clock. It's always 99,650 or 98,990 etc. As we know, 100,0000 is still a psychological barrier for many of us. Cars of yesteryear were ready for the scrap heap by the time they reached that mileage and I do wonder whether these cars have been clocked.

So to follow on, what do you guys think about mileage on an Avensis? Is 100,000 the new 50,0000?

Well my 2002 T22 Avensis Vermont vvti has gor 98,335 as we speak right now...... funny enough I'm dreading hitting that 100,000 mile mark which will be within the next month/month and a half.

I don't know why as there is absolutely no logical reason why 99,999 is more appealing than 100,000 but I will say this.

I spent the age of 38 n 39 saying and absolutely meaning turning 40 wouldn't bother me in the slightest and the thought of it didn't mean a thing. On my birthday, true enough I went through the day in a great mood but after i finished work I ended up sitting in a car park staring out my window feeling incredibly down like nothing would ever be the same again.

You're right it's definitely psychological for sure. I'd rather have a 100,000 mile car driven by a conscientious owner or an old lady than a 45,000 mile motor driven by a Lewis Hamilton wannabe or a lead footed boy racer who thinks the longer you hold on to a gear before changing up n the harder the engine squeals the faster you go lol

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Think it is psychological. That's why stores price things at £4.99 and so on, as it is seems cheaper.

Yeah, what Frosty said and encapsulated in two or three sentences whereas me it took half a novel to say the same thing lol

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I just round up or down figures. 100,000 miles is nothing for cars these days.

When I look at the secondhand car ads, most of the diesels are around or above 100,000 miles, whilst the petrols are approaching the same mileage.

For me condition, history and paperwork will always help me make the decision.

• Like 1

A little background research into a particular models strengths and weaknesses can often help........ like discovering that, for instance, the early 1.6 and 1.8 vvt-i engines have a potentially serious oil usage problem if they haven't been serviced with regular oil changes and the specified oil for that engine.

An hour or two on google can give you a real insight into what to look out for with the particular car you're going to see.

Beyond that Konrad is right, condition,history and paperwork are what counts over mileage every time

I have a 1ZZ-FE and not afraid to use it :)

• Like 2

A little background research into a particular models strengths and weaknesses can often help........ like discovering that, for instance, the early 1.6 and 1.8 vvt-i engines have a potentially serious oil usage problem if they haven't been serviced with regular oil changes and the specified oil for that engine.

An hour or two on google can give you a real insight into what to look out for with the particular car you're going to see.

Beyond that Konrad is right, condition,history and paperwork are what counts over mileage every time

I have a 1ZZ-FE and not afraid to use it :)

Guilty as charged. I have abused my Avensis, high revs, lack or servicing.

Things that I did maintain where tyres and brakes due to safety. It's at 92.5k miles now and is 11 years old but I feel that with a new clutch and even with the oil consumption that I would still get a few more years out of it. I think with my next Toyota I should be a little stricter in regards to changing oil on time and a little less heavy footed (dropping off just before it redlines is no way to drive a car if you want longevity)

• Like 1

Mine is Sept 2002. Now got over 161 000 miles under the bonnet. Had a major gearbox repair at 80 000, still going strong. Had a new short engine at 40 000 under warranty (one of the oil burners!).

Clearly age related repairs from time to time such as brake pipes for the MoT but still reliable and in regular use. I try to keep my fishing gear in it, but Mrs wants it out when she goes out in it! Needs regular oil top ups between services, but only about 1 1/2 litres per 10 000 miles.

We no longer use it for longer trips such as 5 week trips to the continent, and chose to buy a new one last year for longer journeys.

I do not know how much longer I will keep it for - I suppose when it costs more than £1000 a year to run (tax £225, ins £150 so about £650 for servicing etc.No depreciation that's for sure.

• Like 1

Mine is an 07 t25 t2 1.8, paid 2600 with 12 month RAC warranty and 102k just before Xmas. Now done 106k, no squeaks or rattles, everything works and I average about 44.5mpg (that's calculated on actual usage, the car suggests a little more). Can't fault it for the price, puts my old 2013 focus in the shade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my 2006 Avensis 2.2 D4D from the Jaguar garage I worked at (had been traded in) was on 98k when I got it. Now it's just hit 110k and the car is very tight, a lot tighter than many of the Jags I drove.

Only recently I'm getting the sound of worn strut top mounts when coming on and off lock but apart from that it's fine and flew through it's last MOT with no advisories.

Even the (p)leather interior is holding up well!

• 3 weeks later...

Happy days with my 2.0 d4d 1cdftv, march 06 plate its done 51,000 odd and its genuine,sounds like it may well rot around me before i wear this Engine out.:biggrin:

• Like 1

As some here know I am a Toyota newbie. As my X5 was in for some heart surgery!! and the courtesy car supplied wasn't suitable for my dogs so I brought a Toyota Avensis 2.2 d4d estate 55 plate as a cheap dog wagon and I do mean cheap. An ex taxi with 184k on the clock well serviced (mostly Toyota) and reasonably well cared for it is a real bargain in my opinion.

The only real fault, no heater! It was probably cheap due to the HG terror stories (I didn't know about that when I brought it) well after a bit of digging it turned out to be nothing more than a broken heater flap arm, fixed it and all is now cosy and warm. 

2300 miles covered by me and my sons who use it as a run about it's still great. It has used/lost/burnt no oil, we did top up the coolant when sorting the heater but not since, everything works it starts first time what ever the temperature with no smoke or drama and pulls really well. It is cheap to insure and tax and is MOT'd till September if it passes another MOT (can't see a reason why not at present) it is the bargain of the century so far. One of my boys took it to Bristol at the weekend 300 mile round trip with no fuss or bother his only complaint "no cruise control"

So we laugh at 100k as we are heading for 200.

• Like 1

Good to hear you're so pleased with your Toyota, Greydog. So does that mean you'll be flogging the X5 off cheap once you get it back sorted? Put it up on here if you do, I might be interested.  

Hi Tom

Sorry I won't be parting with the X for some time it is a 4.6is the engine is Alpina based the engine has just been rebuilt and tuned and the box serviced. So I will enjoy the beasty for awhile yet.

On 25/02/2016 at 1:07 PM, Greydog said:

his only complaint "no cruise control"

hmm, you can probably add that by acquiring the stalk.

He's a young fit thing in his 30's it wont hurt him to use his foot!! 

Is it really that easy to add Cruise Control get the bits Plug n Play? If it is my son has a project

I believe that it is (albeit that both my 2.2s had CC as standard).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links