Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rattles and irritating noises...

SeventhLevel

Hi guys,

Bought an Auris TS back in September with delivery miles only and I've had a few issues with it (door was misaligned, headlights misaligned) but I have some rattles and other noises that I wanted to see if anyone else has on theirs. 

The main one is from the rear of the car on the passenger side somewhere near the boot cover/dog guard. I've removed both of these things and made sure they weren't loose but it continues. It sounds like someone tapping plastic as the car goes over any kind of minor surface imperfection on the road. Not bumps or potholes, tiny changes in the surface of the road. 

The second is a squeak from the dash. I know where this one comes from but I'm not sure whether it's something that's broken or whether the car hasn't been put together properly. Looking straight at the dash, it's where the silver trim is above the heating controls on the corner nearest the front passenger. When I press that part of the dash it depresses and makes a high-pitched squeak - no other parts of the dash make this sound when pressed. When going over bumps it makes this squeak too.

The final one, noticed today, is a rattle that comes from the front windscreen vent anytime I seem to drive over a minor imperfection on the road. It again sounds like a plastic rattle, deeper than the one coming from the back. I don't know if this just has something to do with the cold and the heater. 

Anyway, if anyone else has any similar rattles or noises please let me know. I have to take the car back to Toyota soon (again) to point out the misaligned headlights and a screw missing on the rear bumper so it'd be good to point these out. Whether or not they'll actually do anything is probably another issue!

Cheers.

I think pretty typical for the model, whenever you look and whatever you touch it screams "cheap ", the quality of the Auris is very poor in comparison with some other Toyota models. It's a mass production car and seems like Toyota doesn't build cars to last anymore but build cars to be sold. I strongly recommend a visit to the dealer to fix lights and door. In the cold weather hard plastics become even harder and this can be the other reason for the rattling noises you get from interior, it's all made from recycled plastic. 

All Toyota's sold in the UK are mass produced, as are those sold in Europe, and to think otherwise is ridiculous.

All vehicle manufacturers use a percentage of recycled materials throughout the vehicle structure, parts and interiors, and the percentage currently is up to 60% for some components. Legislation requires manufacturers to increasingly use recycled materials in preference to virgin material.

Thermoplastics used in dashboards, centre consoles, etc, seat materials, etc all contain a percentage of recycled material - for example the materials used for seat coverings commonly contains yarn from recycled milk bottles.

Toyota are no different to the likes of Nissan, BMW, Honda, Nissan, JLR, Renault, etc.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 2/18/2016 at 9:51 AM, SeventhLevel said:

Hi guys,

Bought an Auris TS back in September with delivery miles only and I've had a few issues with it (door was misaligned, headlights misaligned) but I have some rattles and other noises that I wanted to see if anyone else has on theirs. 

The main one is from the rear of the car on the passenger side somewhere near the boot cover/dog guard. I've removed both of these things and made sure they weren't loose but it continues. It sounds like someone tapping plastic as the car goes over any kind of minor surface imperfection on the road. Not bumps or potholes, tiny changes in the surface of the road. 

The second is a squeak from the dash. I know where this one comes from but I'm not sure whether it's something that's broken or whether the car hasn't been put together properly. Looking straight at the dash, it's where the silver trim is above the heating controls on the corner nearest the front passenger. When I press that part of the dash it depresses and makes a high-pitched squeak - no other parts of the dash make this sound when pressed. When going over bumps it makes this squeak too.

The final one, noticed today, is a rattle that comes from the front windscreen vent anytime I seem to drive over a minor imperfection on the road. It again sounds like a plastic rattle, deeper than the one coming from the back. I don't know if this just has something to do with the cold and the heater. 

Anyway, if anyone else has any similar rattles or noises please let me know. I have to take the car back to Toyota soon (again) to point out the misaligned headlights and a screw missing on the rear bumper so it'd be good to point these out. Whether or not they'll actually do anything is probably another issue!

Cheers.

Did you find the cause of the noise on the back?  I have TS hybrid 2015 also, got it on Jan 2016 and have such noise too.  I an hear it on small bumps, potholes, or rough road but not when driving fast in curve or twisty roads.  It is more pronounced at slow speed below 20mph on uneven roads.   I had replaced the stabilizer bar bushings (€48 part), expensive original Toyota links (€390 for parts alone) and do not eliminate it.   Only the stabilizer links rubber cushions are bad, the balljoint parts are still really good and I regretted replacing the metal parts (€130 each).  With this new cushions, the car is way more stable on the winding roads, less swaying. 

I gave up wasting my time and money chasing this noise.  However, the stabilizer bar links rubber cushions (especially passenger side) went bad much faster than driver sides because it holds more loads during fast right turns(UK) or left turn (DE).  Check this parts alone and Dealer sell it for about €28 48817-12H01 (each corner) for both top and bottom rubber cushion.  This cushions is made of NR (natural rubber) instead of mixture of NR+BR(synthetic rubber) like on the bushing.  Another solutions is getting polyurethane such as Siberian bushing that offer it at about  1/2 price.  I do not trust FEBEST rubber (€6).  You do not have to change the expensive metal parts on the rear stabilizer links (the nuts are usually rusted and need to be cut).   Just remove the bottom parts on both sides and lift the stabilizer bar up, you can replace just the rubber.  

Let me know if you find out which interior plastic parts causing this annoying noise.  It does not sound like metal to metal, more like plastic hitting plastic. I thought it was metal to rubber but I was wrong.  All other rubber parts has no obvious wear, not even dry or crack. 

20210327_213613.jpg

20210327_213600.jpg

20210418_143407.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links