Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hello! New member!

leem2209

Hey All!

Just wanted to say HI!

I'm not a big car enthusiast, my car gets me, family and dog from A to B.

I am an electrical engineer by trade and used to work for Toyota Motor manufacturing on engine assembly lines, but that doesn't mean I know much about engines!

I saw what quality went into Toyotas and decided that's what I wanted!

Over the years we've had a corolla, replaced with an Auris, and I had a 2.2D4D avensis which I loved! 

I had to give it back though eventually and when I left toyota I had to make do with an old focus for a while. Anyway, back to toyota and managed to find a nice 2nd hand 57 plate 2.0D4D, shame it wasn't the 2.2 but hey!

Love the car but I am having issues with wobble between about 55-65 mph when accelerating and it's getting worse.

Took a look today. Left (Passenger) side drive shaft is loose. I can shake it around with my hand when the car is raised and off wheels. Right side is firm.

Closer look, thinking the inner CV joint has gone, and I see the outer case of the CV is wobbling where it enters into the gearbox. Also signs of oil leak from the joint.

I currently haven't got the means to strip it out fully and do further inspections but I am concerned.

Why would the whole thing be wobbly?

Is there a bearing that it sit in the gearbox which may have gone? Could the drive shaft in the gearbox be worn? 

Anyone had anything similar?

Advice mucho appreciated.

Mark!

The wobble could just be wheel wobble. You really need to get it looked just in case it is something more serious. CV joints can make a noise when worn if they're like CV joints used to be. Regards. 

• Like 1

Hello Mark - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

On 4/17/2016 at 9:01 PM, gloucester said:

The wobble could just be wheel wobble. You really need to get it looked just in case it is something more serious. CV joints can make a noise when worn if they're like CV joints used to be. Regards. 

Thanks all for the welcomes...

I have had the wheels all checked and balanced.

I tried to check further around my loose CV. It looks like the CV itself is fine, but where it enters the gearbox is loose. I couldn't pull the CV housing out of the gearbox, didn't have the right tools and really couldn't get under the car enough to get a good pry bar in. I'm still looking to see what the mechanical layout is of the outer case of the gear box. I'm still thinking there is a bearing there that the CV housing sits in. If that bearing has collapsed then that will be why it is loose and why I have gearbox oil leak from that area.

Looks like a garage visit tomorrow!

Mark

Quitev right! Regards.

10 hours ago, gloucester said:

Quitev right! Regards.

Quite right about there being a bearing or quite right a garage visit? 

Quite likely to be some kind of bearing but a visit to a garage too. You could do even more damage.

36 minutes ago, gloucester said:

Quite likely to be some kind of bearing but a visit to a garage too. You could do even more damage.

Yup... that's my fear!

Well... A little visit today to the garage to ask about the bearing, and yes there is a bearing.

Problem is that it is mounted INSIDE the gearbox and if it is collapsed, then it will require a gearbox strip down to access.

The car is booked in for closer inspection...

Going to cost but that's always a risk with older cars. An independent repairer might be a cheaper option. Regards.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links