Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MK1 Avensis - First Steps

kenam

Hi,

Just got a mk1 Avensis (T plate, 99) and immediately noticed a couple of (hopefully) small issues that I am hoping for help on!

Its a 1.8 GS 5d Auto - I think the regular 1.8 Petrol and not the VVT-I (1762 engine size) with 93k miles.

It appears there is a small oil leak coming from the offside of the engine bay - cold this thread apply (there is also a consistent ticking (tappet?) noise at all revs/ engine temperatures?

Additionally - if I give it full lock the power steering stops.

I wont be near the car for a couple of weeks due to work, but trying to get a head start on what to look for when I return.

I only got the attached photos from a hot engine before leaving, and will check fluid levels on return - but trying to work out if I am facing a potential money pit, or of a relatively small bit of cash spent on a service/ oil change etc will give me a couple of years motoring?

Sorry for the vague post - will have ore info when I get back to it!

Leak.jpg

LeakLoc.jpg

Oil_Close.jpg

Edited by kenam
Added mileage

worst that looks to me is a leaking rocker cover gasket bud, about €12 from the main dealer.....if you don't change it its a minimal oil loss at best but if you're as perfectionistic as myself just get a new gasket......they go like the clappers on the 1.6vvt-i's ....and its the same gasket....dont know what €12 is in sterling but its still cheap haha ......the tappet-style oknoise is a characteristic of a good few of the non vvt-i engines when at idle/low revs after they've done a bit of mileage, once it doesn't sound like a mk3 fiesta there's nothing up, just change that rocker cover gasket and plough on to f**k !!! 😁😁 happy driving 😁😁 and happy re-fueling they're a bit thirsty !! 😂😂

• Like 2

One of the easiest cars to service. Yes change the rocker cover gasket.

The engine is 7A-FE lean burn, and should always use Denso Iridium spark plugs. I used to change my oil almost twice a year, and always put a new fibre washer on the sump plug. They are cheap from most hardware stores. Cam belt history is helpful, but this engine does not stress the belt, and if it breaks, just fit another. The engine isnon-interference. The car does work with OBD2 diagnostic scanners, but there is a simple way using the paper clip method, to retrieve codes stored in ECU/ABS/SRS.

Nearly everything is covered by this forum and the Haynes manual.

Happy motoring. 

• Like 1

Seriously!  Brilliant - I was only trying to find out - not because I will do the work, but because I wanted to have some clue what a mechanic was on about.. however - for 12eur and a quick look on youtube - it looks a simple enough job.

Ironically I am in Dublin this week anyway - so 12 eur it is :p

I will get the full service history from Toyota when I get the V5 back - so can look for a timing belt change - however thats was also unexpected good news - I didn't realise that some engines (non interference) didn't implode on cam belt failure!

Worrying tho - the tappet noise was loud enough - and I drove a 60 mile trip (30 e/w) and I dont recall it going away..maybe I need to give it a bit more boot :D I will check when back..

The only remaining thing to check I guess is the steering issue, when reversing the kicking it into a fwd gear with tight lock, the power steering was gone for a few seconds - I know this is pop car diagnosis via a forum.. but that likely to be a major issue?  I am hoping I will notice something obvious like power steering reservoir is low or something.. but beyond that I am stuck!

Cheers for the good news so far! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links