Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Yaris - petrol or Hybrid?

Notebook

Live about 4 miles from work, do 3 to 4 200 mile trips a year.

Any advice really

Assuming one works full time and taking into account four 200 miles trips per year, the annual mileage will be around 2,800 per year. I would have thought that a petrol Yaris would be more cost effective than a hybrid, when one takes into account the price premium of a hybrid over  either a 1.0 litre or 1.33 petrol.

21 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Assuming one works full time and taking into account four 200 miles trips per year, the annual mileage will be around 2,800 per year. I would have thought that a petrol Yaris would be more cost effective than a hybrid, when one takes into account the price premium of a hybrid over  either a 1.0 litre or 1.33 petrol.

My mistake - in total I mange about 6.5k a year, but thanks for your contribution - got me thinking where the other mileage comes from!!

If you look at somewhere like Fuelly or Honest John's Real mpg, you should be able to get an idea of the difference in fuel consumption between the two petrols and the hybrid. From this one can calculate the break even point in mileage of the hybrid vs petrol in terms of price premium and likely fuel consumption savings.

Hi

Have you had a test drive in a hybrid?

A hybrid is not for some, if you don't have a lightweight right foot.

Like mr frosty says, the hybrids cost more. You might not see enough of a saving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

not worried about the price as looking 1 to 2 years old and there isnt much difference.  what sort of mpg are people getting?

Thanks

48 minutes ago, Notebook said:

not worried about the price as looking 1 to 2 years old and there isnt much difference.  what sort of mpg are people getting?

Thanks

We get about 57mpg on average per tank, but not everyone who drives it has got used to driving hybrids :happy:

Individual trips we have had about 70.

The tank holds 35 litres or so, but when the low fuel light comes on it has 5 litres left and that at about 380 - 400 miles.

• 1 month later...

I drive all the Toyota range at work and the Yaris Hybrid is a firm favourite with me and my work colleagues.

I drive all the Toyota range at work and the Yaris Hybrid is a firm favourite with me and my work colleagues.

It would be my favourite, but I like my Auris with the Prius joystick and the park button.

:-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On a 4 mile journey to work the hybrid will use the petrol engine a lot to get the system up to temperature, especially if you like to use the heater, hardly any benefit on such short trips.

Diesel would struggle to get warm, particle filter problems could happen.

I think your best bet would be a normal petrol version.

For what you do I'd go all electric, I know Toyota don't do one, and probably never will as they are pushing the mirai hydrogen car. Yes they are more expensive but boy are the running costs minuscule. In hindsight I wish I'd gone for a Nissan Leaf now. Don't get me wrong I like the Yaris hybrid and will drive distances in it. We do about 7000 miles a year and get 50 mpg all the time.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links