Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis steering column

Johnb860

Hi all just wondering if any 2010 model avensis owners have had problems with steering columns or main ecu units? I bought a 2010 diesel 2.0 just over two years ago and I had steering column issues soon after buying it so I brought it back to Toyota twice and they replaced some splines twice on the column which sorted the problem each time for a while but the problem always returned, so I was getting the car serviced yesterday and my mechanic said the steering column needs to be replaced, he advised me to go to Toyota as this is a common problem with this model. My main Ecu unit also became problematic resulting in the central locking not opening the doors. Toyota are not recognising either of these as warranty issues. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 years later...

Hi Johnathan, 

I have a similar problem with my 2011 Avensis, rattling noise in the column especially on uneven surfaces. Seems fine on main roads / motorway. Just wondering if you ever got to the root of the problem ??

Thanks

Mort

On 11/11/2016 at 4:40 PM, Johnb860 said:

Hi all just wondering if any 2010 model avensis owners have had problems with steering columns or main ecu units? I bought a 2010 diesel 2.0 just over two years ago and I had steering column issues soon after buying it so I brought it back to Toyota twice and they replaced some splines twice on the column which sorted the problem each time for a while but the problem always returned, so I was getting the car serviced yesterday and my mechanic said the steering column needs to be replaced, he advised me to go to Toyota as this is a common problem with this model. My main Ecu unit also became problematic resulting in the central locking not opening the doors. Toyota are not recognising either of these as warranty issues. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Johnathan, 

I have a similar problem with my 2011 Avensis, rattling noise in the column especially on uneven surfaces. Seems fine on main roads / motorway. Just wondering if you ever got to the root of the problem ??

Thanks

Mort

If the column is rattling it is likely to be in one of the splined couplings.  The top of the shaft is in two parts on sliding splines (to allow reach adjustment of the wheel) - play is possible here. Also there are splined clamps on the intermediate shaft. Best to check for wear in UJ's and movement of splines.  Car stationary with engine running and work the steering side to side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrfixer said:

If the column is rattling it is likely to be in one of the splined couplings.  The top of the shaft is in two parts on sliding splines (to allow reach adjustment of the wheel) - play is possible here. Also there are splined clamps on the intermediate shaft. Best to check for wear in UJ's and movement of splines.  Car stationary with engine running and work the steering side to side.

Thanks Jim for your prompt reply. When the car is stationary and I turn wheel sharply to left or right there is a clunk noise, Im a complete novice so just wondering if this would be a sign of what you think it might be ?

Thanks again,

Mort

Clunk noise on lower speeds, or while at standstill is sadly normal for most Toyotas from 2006-ish to 2010-ish. 

There are multiple topics about it, and TSB's for Toyota. If this is the only time you get the clunk, it should be the "no security concern" clunk.

To try to fix this, go to the footwell, take the plastic boot that covers the steering shaft, try to tighten the nut if possible.

If that is not loose, then it could be dried up grease, for this you would need to unscrew that bolt, take the splines apart and apply some lithium grease, and retighten (before you do this, you need to puth a mark on the splines, and put some big clamp on the wheel, or something else to stop it from moving).

If you have clunks for example while driving normally, and at higher speeds, then whole different matter.

Use search on the forum, the topic has been discussed multiple times.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links