Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Notchy shift change on 2.0VVTi Auto with poor display

Mafio

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has some thoughts on this problem I have with a 04 2.o VVti auto Avensis. This all started after changing the head lamps so I have probably dislodged a connector. Its an intermittent problem whereby the gear shift is very notchy and the dash display only shows the normal P,R,N,D and not the 1,2,3,4 as it should do depending on the gear selected.But the auto gearbox drives normally and shifts into 4th gear at the right speed. Once this fault shows it stays like it until the car is stopped and restarted if I am lucky/unlucky.

• 4 weeks later...

After some time in getting down to locate the fault, I have now found that it is the shifter gate mechanism, I have taken the console out, cleaned etc. The problem still exists. it looks as if I will have to remove the gate mech' to see what’s going on.

If anyone has a layout diagram of the box I would be very grateful.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Simple - It was not the shifter mech', but in fact turned out to be the swivel joint at the gearbox end. WD40 & oil worked a treat. Why this should affect the display I don't know.

I think oiling or greasing this joint should be a regular service job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhVPGUT90DQ

Not the same car but does show what to look for.

Edited by Mafio
additional info

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links