Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D Maintenance

ianmak

Hi all!

I bought a 2003 D4D Yaris three months ago now, so far so good. Having to get the CV joints replaced, and need to get a glow plug drilled out, so saving up for that!

Have replaced the oil and filters etc, however now the weather is warming up I need to think about the fuel filter replacement and EGR valve clean (as I'm not sure if it's ever been done). With both I've seen online guides, however for the latter, can anyone recommend a cleaner? Should I use carb or EGR cleaner? Is one brand better than another?

Finally, should I be using engine cleaner (or any other type of cleaner) at regular periods? Or just boot it down the motorway? I do use premium diesel at every other fill atm, which does make a difference, however I'll prob bite the bullet and use it regularly soon.

Anything else I've missed?

Why bother having a glowplug drilled out? I very much doubt if it will affect the starting and may cause further problems.

It's a fourteen-year-old car!

40 minutes ago, ianmak said:

Well, when I say guide, more like a list of steps!

ah yes.  thanks.  I'd seen that already:)  Doesn't include the vital step of locating the fuel filter which is where I am struggling!

8 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Why bother having a glowplug drilled out? I very much doubt if it will affect the starting and may cause further problems.

It's a fourteen-year-old car!

Fair point. It's more cos of the eml than anything else. Had no problems starting it all winter having replaced the original(!) Battery... 

8 hours ago, dgd119 said:

ah yes.  thanks.  I'd seen that already:)  Doesn't include the vital step of locating the fuel filter which is where I am struggling!

Well it's on the left if you're facing the engine from the front. I think it has Fuel filter written on it and is cylindrical.

Of course you are talking about the diesel right? The petrol one is in the fuel tank. 

On 25/02/2017 at 4:32 PM, ianmak said:

Hi all!

I bought a 2003 D4D Yaris three months ago now, so far so good. Having to get the CV joints replaced, and need to get a glow plug drilled out, so saving up for that!

Have replaced the oil and filters etc, however now the weather is warming up I need to think about the fuel filter replacement and EGR valve clean (as I'm not sure if it's ever been done). With both I've seen online guides, however for the latter, can anyone recommend a cleaner? Should I use carb or EGR cleaner? Is one brand better than another?

Finally, should I be using engine cleaner (or any other type of cleaner) at regular periods? Or just boot it down the motorway? I do use premium diesel at every other fill atm, which does make a difference, however I'll prob bite the bullet and use it regularly soon.

Anything else I've missed?

So can anyone help? What can I do to maintain the diesel?

Use premium diesel

Fuel filter replacement

EGR valve clean - what cleaner should I use? Any old carb cleaner? EGR cleaner? I've even read brake cleaner??

Italian tune up?

Anything else?

EGR ? I clean using carburettor cleaner aerosol.

Our Yaris does lots of short journeys , so before MOT test I travel approx 20 miles at 3,000 rpm.. so fourth gear at 60 mph. 

We also use Shell V Power diesel - extra 10p/liter does not amount to a lot of money as it does not do a huge mileage. (VP expensive diesel is as good).

Passes emissions test with ease.

1 hour ago, Madasafish said:

EGR ? I clean using carburettor cleaner aerosol.

Our Yaris does lots of short journeys , so before MOT test I travel approx 20 miles at 3,000 rpm.. so fourth gear at 60 mph. 

We also use Shell V Power diesel - extra 10p/liter does not amount to a lot of money as it does not do a huge mileage. (VP expensive diesel is as good).

Passes emissions test with ease.

Thanks for your reply, and noted. I've really enjoyed driving the last three months. So much easier to drive than the 1.0, and other than the concern over emissions, I am really rather happy! Looking forward to tinkering when the weather warms up a little.

• 1 year later...

So... related to maintenance...

Been on hols driving around with a full load (four large adults). There is quite a loud whine/hum/rumble when braking heavily to a stop with the full load. Sounds a bit bearingy. I'm booked in for a garage in a week or two, however in the meantime I wondered if it's worth replacing the gearbox oil (I'm not sure if it's ever been done). Car has done 104k miles.

Questions are:

1) Is it worth doing? It's a 2003 Yaris 1.4 D4D.

2) How much oil is required?

3) I was looking at ECP, who do a cheap oil (Triple QX), either full or semi synthetic. Is it worth buying that in a 5L bottle, or just buying a couple of litres of Castrol or equivalent?

4) Anything else I should be aware of? I'm not even sure it is a gearbox issue. Wheel bearings have already been done front and back. I guess it could be a brake issue, but the hum/whine makes me think it isn't.

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be given...

Is it worth doing? It's a 2003 Yaris 1.4 D4D.  Yes: it goes with relatively minor faults, generally reliable. and any car of similar age is likely to be the same - or worse Prevention is a lot cheaper than a gearbox replacement.

2) How much oil is required? 2.25  litres SAE75W-90 Gear OIl API GL-4 or GL-5

3) I was looking at ECP, who do a cheap oil (Triple QX), either full or semi synthetic. Is it worth buying that in a 5L bottle, or just buying a couple of litres of Castrol or equivalent? See 2 above. YOU MUST USE GEAR OIL..not engine oil.   And to the correct specification as 2 above..

4) Anything else I should be aware of? I'm not even sure it is a gearbox issue. Wheel bearings have already been done front and back. I guess it could be a brake issue, but the hum/whine makes me think it isn't. It may be a gearbox issue  or not. But changing the oil yourself is not expensive so worth doing.  eliminates a possibility..could be the differential objecting to the load being reversed when breaking - instead of engine/gearbox  driving the wheels , forces are reversed as wheels drive gearbox.

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be given...I did it on ours, easy.

To add: you will need to buy gearbox oil in 1 litre plastic containers with a pouring spout as the filling point is horizontal and under the car so a degree of grovelling is required and you need to squueeeeeeeze the bottle sides to get the oil into the casing.. it is not possible to simply pour it in - entry from the side not the top.

Thanks! I was looking at a pouring jug, but will aim for a bottle with a pouring spout instead. I have youtubed vids and noticed that it is a bit of a ball ache to get in!

If it ends up being an issue with the differential, what would be a fix for that?? Although I'm getting better, I'm still not mechanically minded in that sense when it comes to differentials etc.

20 hours ago, ianmak said:

Thanks! I was looking at a pouring jug, but will aim for a bottle with a pouring spout instead. I have youtubed vids and noticed that it is a bit of a ball ache to get in!

If it ends up being an issue with the differential, what would be a fix for that?? Although I'm getting better, I'm still not mechanically minded in that sense when it comes to differentials etc.

A replacemnet gearbox . New would be ££££££s. S'H would be cheaper but will likely to be rare and in good condition??

Last time I filled a gearbox I found the largest diameter pipe that would fit in the filler/level hole, wedged a funnel in the top end of said pipe and filled it that way. I also stood the oil in boiling water for a few minutes to thoroughly warm it through so it would flow easier.

Thanks all. I've delayed oil replacement till next weekend. I need washers which ECP said to get from main dealer!

Interestingly I haven't heard the noise in ages so much just be with a full load... Which thankfully is a rare occurrence!

On 10/6/2018 at 2:16 PM, bathtub tom said:

I also stood the oil in boiling water for a few minutes to thoroughly warm it through so it would flow easier.

You beat me to it Tom. It makes it so much easier and it's also possible to "roll up" the now more pliable plastic bottle from the bottom to extract most of it's contents.👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links