Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warm starting problem Avensis 2.0 T Spirit 2005

Backwoodsman

Hi all - as you can see, I'm a total newbie on here but looking for a little help.

Just recently my Avensis has started giving trouble in starting whilst the engine is hot. (No issue at all when starting from cold - starts like a dream. Also runs very nicely whether engine is hot or cold). In a nutshell,  on turning the ignition, the engine turns over nicely, quickly fires up, but only very briefly (a couple of beats as it were), then dies. It takes 5/6/7 attempts before the engine catches properly. When it does, there's no noticeable running problem. Most recently, (l'd stopped for fuel) it took 11 attempts before engine fired and held properly. So much so I was starting to fear the Battery wouldn't cope with many more attempts.

I've browsed on here and seen a thread or two that describe hot starting problems - and answers mostly suggest problems with the starter motor.  But the symptoms don’t quite match mine. The engine turns quickly & easily - it's more that there's a very brief ignition which doesn't hold.

Grateful for any thoughts? I'm not a technical sort but would like to be able to take it to a mechanic with some suggestion as to what the issue is. (Ps. I had it in a dealership recently - ostensibly for something else, but asked them to look at this. They said they found nothing, but have to say, I don’t think they looked very hard.)

Thanks in advance.

Hi welcome to the forum . There are a few things that will cause hot start issues . But we need to know is the vehicle serviced regularly new plugs air filter fuel filter were applicable as we need to rule out blocked air filter worn out plugs . Now the issue your complaining about can be caused by a crankshaft or camshaft sensor ( I had a Renault senic that started perfect when cold drive up the road for a few miles then fuel up and it was a pig to start new crank sensor cured fault )also a fuel pressure regulator / sensor can cause faults fuel pressure test cold and hot will rule out sensor and fuel pump. Hope this helps with your starting fault . Before just going to any garage ask around your neighbours if they can recommend a local garage and ask for a quotation for repairing your car your have to pay a few hours diagnostics then come back on here with what they find and cost to fix . 

• Like 1

Thanks.

Car is serviced regularly  -but l can't say offhand precisely what bits have been replaced. (One would hope all the necessary bits??) I should be be able to get a couple of recommendations as to garages where l can take it.

Have you tried prime your fuel filter before ignition?

If it go beber, maybe you Have an air leak in the fuel line

It also could be a bad injector seats (very common problem and very cheap to fix) this is how i repair my avensis

Enviado desde mi SM-G355M mediante Tapatalk

petrol or diesel jerry, if its the diesel 1cd-ftv, i would say its starter if its struggling to start when warm,well known problem- depress the clutch when starting, this takes the load of gearbox and turns the engine over quicker,

you can get a new rtx starter from eurocarparts.com for £80 with a 30% discount code with 12 months warranty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, avensisd4d786 said:

petrol or diesel jerry, if its the diesel 1cd-ftv, i would say its starter if its struggling to start when warm,well known problem- depress the clutch when starting, this takes the load of gearbox and turns the engine over quicker,

you can get a new rtx starter from eurocarparts.com for £80 with a 30% discount code with 12 months warranty.

Or get it refurbished really cheap and you know it fits!got mine done awhile back think £30 or less.

• Like 1

Not sure that its the starter. I alway start a car with clutch depressed. And it turns over easily  - regardless of whether hot or cold. I've  had a suggestion it could be a blocked air vent in the filler cap - causing partial vacuum in the tank - in turn drawing fuel back in the fuel lines. That sound plausible?

You can always just loosen the cap to prove the tank vacuum idea . But your find if it was this your engine would not be able to draw fuel from the tank when driving . Try sucking on a straw with your finger over the end . You can buy a mytevac and vacuum test your fuel lines and hand primer unit for leaks or you can pressurise the tank and lines to rule this out . You can buy a test metre and amp clamp to check the draw on the starter when cranking to see if that's at fault starter brushes don't last forever normally burns out the stator aswell if they go . When I used to work on fiats 25 years ago we rebuilt everything in those days . Before the fitter took over through hiked labour etc I used to fit starter brushes on the service 50p for brushes . 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links