Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Multiple warning lights

Amberblue

W Reg 2000 Rav4 auto:

The AT oil temperature warning light, Battery discharge warning light, and Brake warning light all suddenly came on day before yesterday.

In-car volt meter showing at 11.7 instead of the usual 14.3 after start up. Battery is fully charged though. Voltmeter problem began at the same time as the three warning lights came on.

Car recently had a £500 full service including bleeding of the brake system and new brake fluid and brake pipes, and starts up and drives fine. No sign of fluid leaks. No sign of blown fuses.

All warning lights still coming on today even from cold start.

Any ideas at all what it could be? (we have also contacted a diagnostic mechanic for a quote and waiting to hear back)

All lights remain on after cold start up.JPG

Probably defective alternator/voltage regulator.  The defect may not only prevent charging, but seems be dragging the system voltage down below the level which the fault detection circuits can tolerate.  A healthy Battery, not loaded (e.g. disconnected from the car's wiring), should give upwards of 12.3V.

The lamps should go out when the voltage returns to normal.

Thank you very much for your reply, that is very helpful thank you. Would you happen to have an approximate idea of the repair costs? Could we be looking at under £100, or more than £100?

Start the car and test the Battery voltage to see what the altenator is putting into the Battery should be around 13.7 volts , remember to set the meter to DC

An Altenator shouldn't be that much my guess is fitted for under 200 pounds and I guess its probably an idea to change the belt at the same time.

I should add that the Altenator might be repairable ? which could be a cheaper option

1 hour ago, Amberblue said:

Thank you very much for your reply, that is very helpful thank you. Would you happen to have an approximate idea of the repair costs? Could we be looking at under £100, or more than £100?

I expect more than £100, with parts and labour.

Thank you so much Patonski and IanML.

We did have a reconditioned alternator fitted about five years ago so would not be too surprised if it does turn out to be that. Hopefully we will hear from the mechanic soon and can get a firm price.

• Like 1

No probs

If it was reconditioned fair chance its maybe at the end of its service life now.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links