Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A noisy gearbox thread

Toobs

So, just got an 03 1.6vvt-i corolla based on my two previous good ones and it was off a work colleague...and...

The gearbox is really noisy - it's noisy in all gears, but worst in 5th.

So, is this a) common, b) terminal (or do they just go like that but keep working OK) c) a whole new box or just a repair and d) what'd I be looking at if it came to getting a re-con box fitted.

Rest of the car is solid, so I'd think about the repair rather than writing it off as a lemon.

Help appreciated

Toobs

First thing I'd do is check gearbox oil level - maybe change the gearbox oil?  Think I changed my GB oil @ about 40k.  Before anyone else asks, what's the mileage?

93k. So that's separate from the engine oil and a heavier gauge oil i take it. 

And dealer history ran out at 46K so I'm guessing never

So you need 2 ltrs of Gear Oil 75W/90  GL4  (or GL5)  -   have used Comma Oils without problem or noise in my box.

The comes with a flexible spout inside the bottle, so you just  need 2 spanners and some thick gloves, the filler/level  plug can be very tight and if you slip it hurts ! http://www.commaoil.com/products/results/91009618

R  you sure its the gearbox. Our Rav was making a horrible unbearable racket which was in fact a front wheel bearing, but somebody told me it was definitely the gearbox , he was totally wrong. Just a thought,

Clutch in - no noise, clutch out, sound of a machine in pain.

Def transmission not wheel bearing (had to replace a WB on my old car, so I know it's not that kind of noise)

I'll report back after looking at gearbox oil.

If gearbox, it would i imagine give up the ghost eventually. And b hard to listen to in the meanwhile,  I did't think those motors give box trouble, But sure do the oil, and see how u get on.

Could also be the clutch thrust bearing which similarly can causes noise when the pedal is released. Still, any work on the gearbox and you renew the clutch anyways.

Wonder why you got the car if you knew it had a noisy box or did you not test drive it ?  Can you return it ?

• Like 1

It did have the couch recently replaced prior to me getting it. Could it have been iffy work

Brought it on faith from someone i know, didn't get chance to drive it first.  i just mentioned it to him and was a bit oh itd never been smooth but i never noticed...

I found that mine would squeal louder than a pig, turned out to be clutch thrust bearing. After it was replaced it was smooth.

In your case I would change the oil. It's more than likely never been changed, so do it now. Don't be tempted to "flush" it. Drive it around for 20 minutes to get it up to temperature, drain the oil from it, top it up with new oil. You should see a difference almost immediately.

If you can, and before you drop the oil out of it, try and inspect it for any oil leaks. Specifically around the driveshaft areas. If it's wet, or looks like it's been leaking, then it could also need new seals. Not a hard or expensive thing to do in my opinion.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links