Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Yaris T Sport 120k Miles, Too Many?

Theo1999

I am currently looking into getting a Yaris T sport Phase 1. The majority for sale as of late are located way too far for me to travel to, especially if i end up not purchasing. However one has come up near me but it has 120k on the clock. I know that Toyota have been known to go to high mileage but do you guys think this engine model would be able to keep going for at least 20k more? If so what problems would start to occur when entering this high mileage range?

Thanks

All depends on how it has been driven and maintained.The car will be at least 13 years old.

I would expect:

BASIC - start here

The coolant should  be pink - Toyota specify a coolant change at 10 years. If it is any colour but Toyota's own pink - or worse if it is rusty, or clear water or there are signs of rusty water near the filler cap, water pump or anywhere near the radiator.. run away. A corroded engine can block waterways and boil and BANG.

Radiators corrode with age. Budget for a new one. Look for stone damage and missing fins..- a grovel with a torch job.

Then check engine oil. Dirty? Smelly? Is the filter clean? Is it a Toyota one.  Engine oil changes are basic. If there is a service history with regular oil/filter changes every year? Great. If dirty oil/old looking filter and no SH, be VERY cautious.

Start it from COLD. Check if it's warm. Unscrupulous sellers warm up engines so untoward noises when it is cold are not noticed. Listen for ANY rattles from the engine.. especially a regular rattle when cold which diminishes as it warms up. A badly maintained engine will wear timing chain and valves. No worth buying unless you are a competent DIYer and expect £400 for a new chain tensioners and fitting..

Check clutch for wear - little travel or lots before it engages. Vibration when starting off. Noises in gear.  Any banging from front or rear could be broken springs (rust). Look at shock absorbers for signs of leaking oil -MOT fail.

Check MOT history for failures and advisories. https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Look for rust at front or back and especially in whelarch round filler  and pipes to tank.

Suspension? rattles over potholes/speed humps = suspension bushes. Look at front anti roll bar bushes. they fail Budget to replace ALL steering rack bushes and ARB bushes unless done.. £200.

Brakes: should work OK - no pulling , no noises no rusted disks. No rusty brake pipes - see MOT advisory.. Check brake fluid is clean . Dirty = no maintenance.

It's 13 years old.. I would expect several things to be wrong/about to fail unless well mantained. 

A well built car will last only if well maintained.

1 hour ago, Madasafish said:

All depends on how it has been driven and maintained.The car will be at least 13 years old.

I would expect:

BASIC - start here

The coolant should  be pink - Toyota specify a coolant change at 10 years. If it is any colour but Toyota's own pink - or worse if it is rusty, or clear water or there are signs of rusty water near the filler cap, water pump or anywhere near the radiator.. run away. A corroded engine can block waterways and boil and BANG.

Radiators corrode with age. Budget for a new one. Look for stone damage and missing fins..- a grovel with a torch job.

Then check engine oil. Dirty? Smelly? Is the filter clean? Is it a Toyota one.  Engine oil changes are basic. If there is a service history with regular oil/filter changes every year? Great. If dirty oil/old looking filter and no SH, be VERY cautious.

Start it from COLD. Check if it's warm. Unscrupulous sellers warm up engines so untoward noises when it is cold are not noticed. Listen for ANY rattles from the engine.. especially a regular rattle when cold which diminishes as it warms up. A badly maintained engine will wear timing chain and valves. No worth buying unless you are a competent DIYer and expect £400 for a new chain tensioners and fitting..

Check clutch for wear - little travel or lots before it engages. Vibration when starting off. Noises in gear.  Any banging from front or rear could be broken springs (rust). Look at shock absorbers for signs of leaking oil -MOT fail.

Check MOT history for failures and advisories. https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Look for rust at front or back and especially in whelarch round filler  and pipes to tank.

Suspension? rattles over potholes/speed humps = suspension bushes. Look at front anti roll bar bushes. they fail Budget to replace ALL steering rack bushes and ARB bushes unless done.. £200.

Brakes: should work OK - no pulling , no noises no rusted disks. No rusty brake pipes - see MOT advisory.. Check brake fluid is clean . Dirty = no maintenance.

It's 13 years old.. I would expect several things to be wrong/about to fail unless well mantained. 

A well built car will last only if well maintained.

Thanks for the reply mate, I'll be sure to give it all those checks if I got and have a look at it.

mine literally just hit 121k and it runs well, has done me well for my first year of driving. i will say check under the boot floor for water. they all leak but i would hope the owner knows to take out the plug and drain it sometimes! last owner of mine didnt and the carpet had been ruined, thank good the boot floor hadn't rusted.

19 hours ago, TuRDyaris said:

mine literally just hit 121k and it runs well, has done me well for my first year of driving. i will say check under the boot floor for water. they all leak but i would hope the owner knows to take out the plug and drain it sometimes! last owner of mine didnt and the carpet had been ruined, thank good the boot floor hadn't rusted.

Ours does not leak!

The cause of leaks into the boot is well known: leaking past the seals on the light units. Remove and clean up the seal and the metal it seals against to remove the dirt that has lifted the seal off the metal and allowed the water in. Bigger, more effective seals are available from Mr T.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links