Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Get stuck in neutral on hybrid

Chriss27

Sometimes and don’t know why but  I seem to get stuck in neutral when trying to select drive and can’t seem to get out of it and get frustrated and turn engine off and on, what am I going wrong to get to drive from neutral?

Are you putting your foot on the brake pedal first, before selecting drive..?   Could I ask, why are you selecting neutral. If you`re stood for a short time, keep your foot on the brake and the car in drive, ready to move off. If you think you may be stood for a little longer, press the P park button.....this way the petrol engine will keep the traction Battery charged as required. In neutral this wont happen.

Thanks for your reply. I dont know how I end up in neutral in first instance, it only happens on the very odd occasion before moving off when starting car and not an issue if stopped in traffic as you say I keep foot on brake. I must be doing something wrong between starting the car and selecting drive or reverse. If I do get in neutral how do I then get to drive as does not seem to budge out of neutral 

It is my understanding that if you are at a standstill for a while, it is best to select neutral and apply the handbrake. This disengages the clutch and prevents excess wear and if you are hit from behind, there is less likelyhood of you going into the car in front. Also by not keeping your foot on the brake you don’t dazzle the person behind, with your brake lights.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jonmartin said:

It is my understanding that if you are at a standstill for a while, it is best to select neutral and apply the handbrake. This disengages the clutch and prevents excess wear and if you are hit from behind, there is less likelyhood of you going into the car in front. Also by not keeping your foot on the brake you don’t dazzle the person behind, with your brake lights.

Do not put neutral in hybrid or if you have to, then disable ac etc and do ot just short times.

There is no clutch in hybrid toyota.

Great youtube video about transaxle what is also in mk2 auris 

In hybrid neutral will disconnect electric motors and if you keep car runnin you will drain hybrid Battery and car cannot recharge it. If you drain it too low, only dealer can fix it.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2018 at 7:51 AM, Jonmartin said:

In a conventional car with a clutch, yes (even if the clutch is fully depressed the clutch plates can still get extremely hot).

Hybrids, no. Drive + footbrake, or Park (not recommended as if you're shunted in traffic it could damage the transmission).

I always select neutral. I cannot stand drivers who sit on the brakes at lights. It gets extremely irritating and blinding, particularly at night with everyone now having high level brakelights.

According to the display no power is going to the motor in this situation. Anyway, if there is a neutral and its not used, what is the point in having it?

17 minutes ago, Monarchjock said:

I always select neutral. I cannot stand drivers who sit on the brakes at lights. It gets extremely irritating and blinding, particularly at night with everyone now having high level brakelights.

According to the display no power is going to the motor in this situation. Anyway, if there is a neutral and its not used, what is the point in having it?

Neutral is at every cars since laws require it and it is needed for example at some car washes where car is pulled thru it.

Of course short neutral stages are ok for hybrid but long ones are not. And also at short neutral stages computer lost possibility to start rechargin traction Battery if needed.

On conventional automatic i would not put N at every stop, just imagine how much it wears gearbox gear selection when changin between D and N all the time. On Hybrid it is sure just a button and does not move anything, but be aware to not put on N if traction Battery is low, then it can go lower than.

More of this can be read from priuschat forum.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Hybrids, no. Drive + footbrake, or Park (not recommended as if you're shunted in traffic it could damage the transmission).

Actually, with Park you should also use the hand brake - like you would with neutral. The downside of using park is that you would pass through reverse and so the person behind might notice the reversing lights come on and get worried.

2 hours ago, Mike J. said:

Actually, with Park you should also use the hand brake - like you would with neutral. The downside of using park is that you would pass through reverse and so the person behind might notice the reversing lights come on and get worried.

I've noticed that if you're "just passing through" reverse, the light doesn't come on. You need to move the selector relatively quickly though in a smooth motion.

You can see it best if you park next to a wall or hedge at night.

• Thanks 1

• 5 years later...

Got my 2018 Toyota Auris Hybrid today. Trying to suss out the P button - obviously I need to press this when parking my car, but how about in a traffic jam or at slow changing traffic lights? Am I okay to just use D and apply the footbrake/handbrake on these occasions or will I damage the car? 

Hi. 
Never press P when in motion, in slow speeds below 10mph the car will engage the transmission parking pole and lock the front wheels and stop unexpectedly, this can cause accidents or minimum you may hit the steering wheel with your head. At higher speeds if you press P accidentally you willl hear a beep and nothing will happen. Once you select D and move off the line you don’t need to worry or change any gears until you stop and need to reverse. You can select B or back to D when driving, and N if you need to . To select an you need to pull the gear shifter and hold until you see N slescted on the dashboard. You should only use N for loading purposes or similar when car is in garage for mot test or service. 
Regards 

On 2/8/2024 at 8:31 PM, Steph kernow said:

Got my 2018 Toyota Auris Hybrid today. Trying to suss out the P button - obviously I need to press this when parking my car, but how about in a traffic jam or at slow changing traffic lights? Am I okay to just use D and apply the footbrake/handbrake on these occasions or will I damage the car? 

That's the beauty of automatic cars since 1960. We just need D all the time and that's the best way and make the transmission work perfectly. Nothing wear that way. 

If you put to P, it car wear the pawl without hand brake, in torque converter car, it can increase the wear of the wet multi clutch, and occasionally rev the car and slam to D =bad. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links