Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying A New Celica - Any Advice?

GFORCE

Hey,

A newbie and have a 96 ST (import) -- I'm buying a (newer) used celica, hopefully 2000-2001. I dont really want to cos i love my gen 6 but i really need to get a younger car -- i like the new model but not as much but its growing on me all the time...

I dont know what the general opinion is on the new model but i think they look pretty cool with a nice kit and decent 17's ????

Any advice? I'd prefer to get a auto/tiptronic but as far as i can see they're only available in a jap import, (and a 2 litre which i dont mind) anything i should look out for?

Cheers

Well I used to have a 99 gen6 Celica SR (same engine as the ST) and moved onto a 2001 gen7 :) so good choice there :thumbsup:

Yep, the auto/tiptronic is only available as an import - although they are still 1.8 litres.

Which are you after? the 140bhp VVTi, or the 189bhp VVTLi ? I went for the 140bhp version - fuel economy, not wanting to keep revving it above 6,200rpm, and 8.7 seconds to 60mph from the 140bhp engine was fast enough.

The UK bodykit (dynamic pack) isn't really all that special to be honest. I got it on mine mainly because I can't stand the sills on the gen7 not being colour coded - so the side skirts hid that nicely (BTW there's a design fault on the side skirts - you'll find out if you ever have to change a rear wheel - Toyota deny it of course!).

If it hadn't have been for the grey sills (which are fine if you go for the silver car) I would've just got the sport pack (spoiler & 17" alloys).

Another thing I went for was the premium pack (digital climate control, electric sunroof and leather front seats) - I only got this for one reason - the climate control buttons. Yes, the buttons!!!! The standard AC has a turny dial like 'normal' cars, but I liked the pressy buttons of the gen6 so much I had to have them again. Apart from that, not really worth it - sunroof rarely used, and leather seats were freezing in winter and boiling in summer.

Some things I noticed different when moving up to the new model:

It's smaller (inside & out).

The red lights in the door have gone :(

Toyota cut corners with the electric window switches by putting them next to the gear stick.

But most importantly, it drives & handles *MUCH* better than the gen6.

Not sure what to look out for specifically, same as any other car really. Difficult to tell if it's been ragged or not - a 2000/2001 model won't be on it's first set of tyres.

I had a problem with the rear hatch - it kept falling down. Got this fixed under warranty, and the mechanic told me it's quite a common problem - so there's something you can check (I wouldn't walk away from a car with this problem, but use it to haggle the price down more, or get them to get it fixed).

Some other things, since buying my MR2 I've learned a lot about basic mechanics now, and I'd make a lot more checks when buying a car now (I got lucky with my MR2, runs like a dream). Like taking the oil filler cap off and checking for mayo. Check underneath for dented floorpan due to incorrect jacking (my MR2 had suffered this - got the dealer to fix it). Check tread on tyres. Take it for a good test drive - make sure it doesn't overheat. Make sure when you brake hard it doesn't pull to one side. Make sure when you accelerate hard it doesn't pull to one side. etc etc etc

Hope that helps :)

oh, and I've heard on here of people going to see cars and they've had water where the spare wheel is - check this. I'd walk away from a car like this.

Cheers for that mate... a very thorough report i must say!

To be honest when i bought my gen 6 i was totally blinded by the sheer look of the car. I had wanted one for nearly three years and after a lot of scrimping and saving, when i finally found an automatic i went in head first - and got totally screwed by the dealer (non toyota)

They stripped the alarm, electric aerial, front fogs, didn't service it, unbalanced wheels... which i found to be later caused by warped alloys, old brake pads on all four wheels and to top it all they had a Battery suitable for a micra AND not even strapped down... thanks to this i now have a reverse dent on my bonnet from the Battery bouncing around which in turn caused the negative cable to get worn which caused the car to go completely dead at any time when driving!!!! and also wouldn't always charge the Battery when driving....!!!!

pretty stupid of me huh!!!

I'll probably go for the 140 as the 190 is more rare, maybe not in a jap import though... plus theres my insurance to think about... i saw a white 190 with a full kit... including lids and BLACK (???) alloys and it looked top... it was gone when i went to see it... (dammit!)

as i'm goin for an import i'd say i'll get a pretty high spec on the car as they usually are with imports... i saw another one with 10 CD, MiniDisc, Leather... the list went on...

i can't believe the gen 7 is SMALLER?? if anything it looks wider?? but i've never been in one so i wouldn't know!!! every time i go to a garage they're already gone...

Cheers again for all of that - i've made a vow not to be such an idiot this time...

the things to look for on the new celicas are as someone said the tailgate struts keep going (not a big problem), the alternator belt getting noisy,exhaust heatsheilds falling off and interior rattles. (i work for toyota so get it all the time )

hope this was of some help.

Hi

I might be getting rid of me 7th gen if your interested its done umm ablout 25k service history ive spent about £2500k on it since i bought it a few months ago lowered 30 mm tv dvd flip out jobby(Kenwood) and black widow 17" wheels see pics below.

i paid £11.750 plus £2500k on tv dvd suspension wheels. if you interested make me a sensible offer, it hasn't been thrashed or bashed or no hp outstanding.i can have it put back to standard trim aswell inc stereo and sus. it not been advertised as yet because im undecided on what to buy next but a typeR civic is fav atm.

you can contact me through here or msn me on killedinacarcrash2@hotmail.com

Thanks for that streetracer starlet... even though i don't know what tailgate struts are... the dealer wont know that!!

cheers

--

Thanks Fozzy: sent you a PM

Thanks

THE RODS EITHER SIDE OF THE HATCHBACK THAT KEEP IT OPEN . :thumbsup:

The boot struts are (occassionally) a problem particularly is the car has a rear spoiler (Sport pack) and not the correct struts. The right ones have 'SP' on them denoting they are the Sport pack struts. Other issues to check for are: 'corroding' alloys (especially Sport pack ones although this is warranty job so long as they are not curbed), rusting rear wheel brake hubs (warranty job but they only stay rust free for about 2 months), the pre-face lift model (2000-2002) double-DIN radio has a tendancy for the volume control knob to have a mind of its own (warranty job) and extremely rarely (I had one <_< ) for 2000-2001 models to have poor welding on the bottom of the near side 'B' pillar (warranty job). Other things as mentioned earlier in this thread.

All in all the Gen 7 is a cracking car (I'm on my 2nd) which handles great and goes well (especially the 190bhp model). Most issues that the car may have are generally covered by warranty if the car is less than 3 years old.

Habu

Hi, I just ordered the 140 VVT-i RED edition. it comes with 17 inch wheels, spoiler, sub woofer and leather interior. Dont know if this is available in Ireland or not. Cant wait to get mine

I dunno whether thats available over here or not but I'm buying a used gen 7 anyway, but its sounds class all the same... best of luck with it :thumbsup:

I think I've managed to get my hands on a 2000 190 model, white, no kit, crap alloys, VERY low mmileage and its tiptronic, plus i think its near to trade price so I'm looking at it next week with a serious view to buy... thats of course if I dont spot anything wrong with it thanks to all the good advice posted here!!! getting an assessor to have a look at it anyway...

Seen a pic of it and it looks immaculate but it really needs a kit and BIG BIG alloys... but thats all do-able in the near future

Maybe thinkin of black alloys??? or titanium look... cos of the white body???

any ideas???

Cheers

Hi, I just ordered the 140 VVT-i RED edition. it comes with 17 inch wheels, spoiler, sub woofer and leather interior. Dont know if this is available in Ireland or not. Cant wait to get mine

what colour 'Red' are you going for? My local dealer has a silver 'Red' which looks nice. :rolleyes:

Habu

My mate whos on Celica Club Sleekadude has got his Gen 7 TRD up for sale as hes just bought a house so thats currently sat up at a garage waiting to be bought its an import 190 model with AEM CAI TRD springs and Exhaust full TRD kit not a copy In RED looks brilliant think it also has on it 18" Matrix Torques still best to check it out and pm him for details probably looking around 12 - 14k for it

There's only "Chilli Red" isn't there?

silver or black only for the Celica 'Red'. Red denotes that the car has red leather trim and not the body colour.

Habu

• 3 weeks later...

Welll....

I finally got her...

Got my Gen7 yesterday and I'm like a kid at christmas...

She's a 2000 White VVTI-L (190) Tiptronic and my god is she fast!!!! I cant believe how much power is available, she just keeps going!! I haven't really opened her up yet - I did a bit but then i got nervous cos I crashed and wrote off my Gen6 Last week, and I'm still a bit shaky.

But the handling is WAY better than the Gen6, speed, brakes, everything has impressed me - but then this is only day 2!!

She's got a front loader CD, MiniDisc... no Spoiler or kit, and standard toyota 16's but that will all soon change

Thanks for everybody's help and comments cos she is spotless and i checked everything mentioned above

Cheers

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links