Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I just had my CVT oil changed

nielshm

I just had my 40.000 miles service, and I had told the shop (Toyota dealer) to replace the CVT gearbox oil. I very happy with the result, I can feel some difference, and I'm very happy that I got a fixed price on the job. It took forever, they got the car 7.30 and I could leave again 14.00 (I waited in the shop for the car to finish)

The last few months, I had started to notice some very light jerking when accelerating smoothly. A strange feeling going through to pedals and steering wheel, almost like the road was a bit bumpy. Just a very light feeling, but enough to be alert, when it happens every time. I could'nt see any strange movement in the revcounter or speedo, so it was'nt the belt slipping (Thank God).

After my oil change, it has all gone. I think that the oils lubricating properties has been worn out. The result has been, that the CVT belt couldnt move 100% smoothly between the pulleys, without making very tiny jerks. Quite disturbing, since Toyota claims that the gearbox is sealed for life, and never requires maintenance.

So my advice to all of you the old school CVT's: Get a oil change. If I can experience small jerks with only 40.000 miles on the clock, I would say that it could happen to any of you. I'm a very gentle driver, I don't tow caravans, I don't drive agressively, just normal daily driving, with a holiday through Germany twice a year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had 2011 Avensis 2.0 Multidrive and if i remember correctly it had CVT oil change every 120.000km marked on the manual. I think car makers only try to claim that gearboxes are sealed for life and does need any maintenance to just shine out on reviews about how costly car is to keep.

None machine what uses any oil is ”maintenance free”. I bet that flushing gearbox every 100.000km/5y etc will make its life longer.

btw, that i long time to wait car at the dealer :D

On the Auris, the oil needs to be analysed at 120.000 km, but has only to be replaced if results are showing wear and tear. 

I am glad all became smooth again after the cvt oil change mate. I am glad you are free of problems too. Seems toyota is much more careful and didnt make the engine mistakes like the germans and the nissan renault did with their small displacement direct injection engines.:)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links