Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Exaust Emissions For Mot

subzero2

last time i got a mot the guy told me my emissions where getting close to the limit and it might fail next time. what can be done to cure this. car is 1994 st202 jap import gen6 2.0 gt non turbo (think gen 6 if not please correct me as new. the one with 4 sunken headlights not pop up). does it need a new cat. or do the piston ring need replaced or fitting a uk spec ecu . thanks in advance ps wont to get this sorted first as got a couple of other thing i want to do but not if not able to keep car for next 3 years ect.

my father put a cat off a fiesta on his granada once , and it worked fine emissions down to zero . you can also get a decat pipe , cut the flanges off the old cat and have them welded onto a second hand cat from any motor as long as its the same length.once through the mot , put the decat pipe back on.and save the cat for the next mot.If the engine is smoking putting a brand new cat on would be simply madness , it too will break alot sooner than it would do normally on a clean engine.

i saw in a post here import ecu's are made to run on higher octane fuel ( super unleaded ), best to give the car a good run ( as in red line it ) 10 minutes before the mot test to clean it out before hand usually helps.maybe have the lambda sensor checked or replace too.

could be your oxygen sensors on the way out mine was the same way just scrapped the mot. but on the next one it was 3 times what it should be does not matter what you put in your tank if the oxygen sensor is worn it wont help. only cure is replace oxygen sensor which is costly. there is a test you can do yourself to find out if the sensor has failed there is a diagnosis box in the left hand side of the engine bay lift the cap you need to bridge TE1 + E1 this can be done with a paper clip bend it in the middle and stick it in to these 2 points go back in the car and turn on the ignition but don't start the car you will see the check engine light flashing on the dash it will flash on and of rapidly if there are no codes. if the sensor has failed it is a code 21 which is 2 flashes pause 1 flash.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links