Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Excessive oil from breather 2001 Avensis verso D4D

Ewdwan

Hi, 

I've looked all over the internet and can't really seem to find anything that fully explains this. My parents 2001 Avensis Verso with a 2.0 D-4D has been losing a lot of oil, there was oil on our drive from it, when I looked there was oil coming from the throttle and the outlet of the intercooler. I took some hoses and pipes off to see if I could determine where the oil was coming from (I'm presuming where the oil is leaking out of the engine was a pre existing boost leak that oil is now coming out of due to it getting into my intake) and I determined that it was coming from the breather tube at the back of the cam cover, therefore going through the turbo and being forced out the boost leaks. Now I understand a small amount of oil is normal but the insides of the hoses after the breather are all coated in oil, and in just over a month the engine has used enough oil to make the dipstick reading go from full to just below half. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be and how I could fix it? Would a catch can help? I'm not bothered about the boost leaks at the moment just the excess oil from the breather tube . 

Thanks for any help in advance

Euan

Hi Euan,

Have you checked for excessive blowby? If you idle the car and carefully lift the oil cap you'll find out. Some egress of blowby is normal but if there is a huge bellow then something is up with the sealing of the piston rings in the engine. That would be a likely cause of the problem you're seeing.

Regards
Ian

• Like 1

Thank you, so while the engine is running I carefully lift the oil cap, if oil starts spurting out I'm assuming there is excessive blow by? I started a car once with no oil cap (accidentally) and all the oil fired out the filler, would this not happen on a D-4D as well? 

Hi Euan,

When I do this with mine I can carefully lift the cap and it doesn't look like Texas in the 1930s. Alternatively you can separate the breather pipe and check there. There should be a little gas but not a huge flow. Regards

Ian

Right I've had a look, I took the breather hose off and it's got loads of exhaust smoke coming out of it, just as much as I'd imagine the exhaust would have if it was that size, I'm assuming this isn't good and my piston rings are quite bad? 

Hi Euan,

Yes that's a bad sign. Indicative of combustion bypassing the piston rings. It may be that one of them is stuck and an engine flush may free it, but no guarantees. Worth a try though bearing in mind the alternative. Of course someone here may think of something I've missed.

Regards
Ian

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links