Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

ABS, VSC, TRC OFF

xzirri

It's been less than a month, and yet I'm back with another topic... It's almost as if the car can sense that the MOT is right around the corner 😜 Anyway, started the car a few days ago and these lamps lit up. As the VSC lamp is an automatic failure at the MOT here in Norway, I decided to see if I could figure out what the issue was. As no cheap OBD2 scanner can read ABS codes, I took the car to Mr. T for a code scan.

However, no matter what they did, they couldn't find any brake related codes and yet the error lamps wouldn't stop lighting up. They did, however, get a code for the MAF sensor. They wanted to keep the car in the shop until tomorrow, as their expert mechanic was away today.

The guy I spoke with doubted that the MAF sensor would make those lamps light up. At the same time I've seen topics in various forums (4Runner forums and such) pointing out the MAF sensor to be the culprit for the VSC light although they seem to also get the check engine light (which I don't).

What's your take on this?

Oh btw, I still get the VSC self test sound (that scraping noise) as I reach 5 km/h. Idk if that's useful info. Sorry for the long post!

Hi xzirri

I was trying to diagnose an idle issue and unplugged the MAF to see if it was that. I had the check engine, VSC and TRC off warning lights illuminate. However, these disappeared one the MAF was plugged back in and I had driven a few miles. This subsequently showed up on a diagnostic test too as it stored the fault. I guess you could try resetting the ECU and see if they go off, especially if the mechanics can't find anything wrong?

• Like 1

They did reset the ECU and it didn't go away so I know there's an issue with the MAF. What I'm confused by is the fact that the check engine light doesn't light up. I mean, they're Toyota mechanics, shouldn't they know this stuff? My local dealership is also the biggest dealership in the entire country...

Alright, got a call from Toyota today. Turns out they messed up with the error code. The error code showing up is C0371, which is the yaw rate sensor. Is there anything I can do, apart from changing the sensor?

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to changing the yaw rate sensor. Had a hard time finding one, as the breakers usually don't keep that part after the car has been stripped. However, this means that the breakers don't know how much to charge for the part. I ended up paying 20 quid for it, which is super cheap here in Norway.

Anyways, for anyone struggling to find the correct torque specs for the bolts and nuts: the sensor nuts should be 6 Nm, the bracket bolts should be 21 Nm and the four bolts for the seat should be 37 Nm. Technically, you could swap the sensor without removing the seat by raising it to the max height but loosening and tightening the right nut on the sensor with a wrench will be somewhat difficult, as there is almost no clearance.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links