Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear brake pads on avensis 1.6 2018

Justin bees

Hello there my name is justin and im new to this forum. I need some advice please. I bought a new avensis in april this year and the back brake pads needed replacing at 11.500 milles. I was a bit miffed at why they worn down so quickly and especially before the front pads ?? The service manager told me not to pull off without releasing the electric hand brake as this could be the problem so i took his advice even tho my last car ( a vauxhall ) had electric hand brake and this was never an issue. Now on sat just gone i took the car to get the front pads changed at 18.500 miles only to be told the back pads are down to 3mm and gonna need changing again ?? So this time i have got slightly less milles the the pads before. Now i am a taxi driver but have been for 12 years and never had any issues with back pads before. So im not accepting the service department saying it must be my driving as im not a boy racer and like i said normally get well over 20k on back pads ?? Can anyone shed any light on this situation please as its really starting to annoy me. Apart from this im very happy with the car. Many thanks justin

Hi Justin, welcome to TOC 🙂

Anecdotally, letting the EPB auto release on moving off rather than manually releasing before can lead to increased wear but imo most people would get far more than that out of a set of rear pads (I certainly did on my 2012). Is it both sides or only one? Sticking caliper perhaps?

Yes its both sides. When i had them changed at 11.500 miles i started to manually turn off the epb rather then pull away and its made no difference they are down to 3mm at 18.500 miles. The tecnition said it could be a sticking calliper and will investigate when they change them on the 20.000 miles service next week. But surley if a sticking caliper would it be only 1 side worn not both ??

Moved to the Avensis club.

Our Avensis only gets about 15k out of a set of rear pads, but my wife often sets off letting the EPB auto-release which does wear the pads faster. I queried the heavy wear rate with the dealer and they reckoned the Avensis EPB is known for wearing the rear pads quickly. 

Thing is tho once i had a new set at 11.500 miles i started to pull away after manually turning off the epb and its made no difference. Could the hill assist be wearing them down faster ? The mind boggles. But saying that the vauxhall i was driving before had hill assist and epb and didnt go thro back pads like that. Thanks for your input guys but still bit of a mystery

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links