Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Slight judder on set off

Dave 1981

My 2006 Yaris 1.0vvti, done 36400 miles and it recently started to occasionally judder when I pull away from either a standstill or on very low speed, only does it in 1st and soon as the clutch is fully released its gone. Does seem to only do it when the car is upto temp however. 

Part of me is thinking either clutch release bearing or actual clutch but I'm not sure. Only mod on the car engine wise is a k&n air filter, which tbh I don't like anyway, someone did say to me low revs with free flowing filter it cud be the fueling that's out .

Any thoughts?

Sounds like clutch judder I wouldn't worry about it if it is unless it's unbearable 

No it's fine, like I said once in a blue moon it happens. Clutch don't slip at all so I'm not overly worried more curious!

You could fit a new clutch kit and in a few weeks it could do the same don't worry until it slips I fitted a solid flywheel conversion to a rav4 and it had slight judder in fact still has but no worries 

Probably release bearing as already mentioned, you can minimise the judder by dipping the clutch again if it gets any worse.

4 hours ago, Longcock said:

You could fit a new clutch kit and in a few weeks it could do the same don't worry until it slips I fitted a solid flywheel conversion to a rav4 and it had slight judder in fact still has but no worries 

Welcome to the forum Stephen, you appear to be very knowledgeable, you'll be very popular on here as well as with the ladies! 🤪

On 4/4/2019 at 7:36 PM, stantheman1 said:

Welcome to the forum Stephen, you appear to be very knowledgeable, you'll be very popular on here as well as with the ladies! 🤪

Har har just seen last post but no haven't been very lucky with the ladies lol . I am not a mechanic I've just had to be practical since a child with motorcycles and no money to fix them I just had to make do and mend I've done some mad stuff my friends are mostly the same but tbo I've made some boo boos and learned by my mistakes and still am 

I can relate to workin on bikes! Had them since I was 16 ranging from 50cc mopeds upto R1s and big V twins, something very enjoyable about working on a bike that I don't always get when working on cars. 

As for mine at the moment it's behaving perfectly, no clutch judder at all.. though I've priced up new clutch kit and it isn't too bad actually so think this summer I'll treat it to a new one if this gets worse or if it starts slipping.

Yes I know what you mean about bikes being enjoyable to work on unlike cars me and my friends went on to atvs quad bikes and they are a bit of a pain but still better than cars .happy motoring lol

My last Yaris, a 1999 Mk1 1.0 CDX had horrendous clutch judder when setting off from stationary in first gear, especially from a cold start in the morning, the whole car would judder badly when taking up biting  point on the clutch, and it was like this for all 5 years that I owned that car, between 54K and 70K miles. It never seemed to get any worse, and I just lived with it, as I think in damp weather, moisture gets on the clutch plates and causes the judder, or it could even be oil contamination, I never knew the reason for it, it was just something the car seemed to suffer with. My current Yaris does it very slightly in damp weather after a cold start, and can often suffer with clutch drag when the transmission gets hot, whereby the clutch pedal has to be absolutely mashed into the carpet in order to get it in gear, or to change smoothly. I think the early Mk2 manual trans models did seem to have a trait where the biting point is very low on the pedal and often the clutch plate does not completely free off from the flywheel fully unless the clutch pedal is completely to the floor. This was an issue highlighted by Honest John in his Yaris Mk2 review, about how the clutches on early mk2 manual models can sometimes not fully disengage and lead to difficult gear changes or crunching into reverse from neutral, due to the dragging clutch plate not quite fully releasing from the flywheel.

• Thanks 1

Yes my dad's 2004 rav4 2.0d4d did this and so did my last rav what I did is above the slave cylinder is a squareish thing that the clutch fluid goes through I'm not sure what it is maybe a cushion but anyway I just bypassed it and this sorted it out perfectly 

A Carina II I owned from new developed really violent clutch judder in the first 12 months I had it. Once you had pulled away a few times it was super smooth. This ended up being a known design issue and was caused by the change to asbestos free linings. When hot some kind of resin migrated to the surface and and as it cooled became sticky causing the judder. New clutch kits and flywheels had to be fitted to fix this.

10 hours ago, Longcock said:

Yes my dad's 2004 rav4 2.0d4d did this and so did my last rav what I did is above the slave cylinder is a squareish thing that the clutch fluid goes through I'm not sure what it is maybe a cushion but anyway I just bypassed it and this sorted it out perfectly 

If you bypass it you get a decent pedal 

Just now, Longcock said:

If you bypass it you get a decent pedal 

This is only to do with low pedal 

35 minutes ago, Mooly said:

A Carina II I owned from new developed really violent clutch judder in the first 12 months I had it. Once you had pulled away a few times it was super smooth. This ended up being a known design issue and was caused by the change to asbestos free linings. When hot some kind of resin migrated to the surface and and as it cooled became sticky causing the judder. New clutch kits and flywheels had to be fitted to fix this.

Yes I can definitely believe this 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links