Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dealer payment

Tomfromfife

Hi,

I have a 2019 RAV4 on the way with delivery in June.

Can I ask, at what stage do you pay the dealer?

i have got to 70 without ever buying a brand new car as I had company cars most of my life, or bought demonstrators or manufacturer management cars.

I guess they won’t register or tax it until they have payment, but I feel uneasy handing over all they money without actually seeing it.

whats your advice ?

Martin

With my dealer I've always paid any balance on the day I pick the car up using my debit card.  Never had any problems.  Many years ago, the card issuer would phone to ask a few security questions, but the last few went though like I was buying groceries.

When I bought my current car the balance after trade-in and the £500 deposit I'd paid with a credit card was just over £18k.

This time is a bit different; my current car is worth more than the maximum deposit for the 2-year interest free finance so instead of paying my dealer when I collect my shiny new car, they will deposit a substantial sum into my account electronically (always paid cash before since I stopped having company cars, but if it's interest free it might as well be in my bank).

As an aside, when I bought my last new car in 1984 before having company cars for many years the dealer wanted a bankers draft.  I wasn't happy paying the fee for that so said I'd bring a briefcase full of cash, at which point the sales manager decided a cheque would be fine!

Pay the balance when you collect the car. As regards VED, the dealer should register and tax the car on the day of collection using the DVLA database.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links