Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Hybrid 2012 - Air Bleeding - Techstream

yrn11

Hi All,

How difficult is it to use Techstream to replace brake oil? won't it be easier to do it by hand? (using the invalid mode as in the below movie).

Do it like the guy above. He has super informative videos but in many of them he shows unnecessary work done, for example removing the whole lot with the wipers for changing the spark plugs where you can easily do without otherwise very good job. 

51 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Do it like the guy above. He has super informative videos but in many of them he shows unnecessary work done, for example removing the whole lot with the wipers for changing the spark plugs where you can easily do without otherwise very good job. 

There is no risk of damaging the brake booster pump? And should I use Toyota oil or any other oil can be used?

Use exactly the same type fluid that is shown on the reservoir cap, I think is  Dot 3 brake fluid, no need to be specially Toyota. I don’t know if any risk to damage the pump. 

Regards 

• 1 year later...
On 5/27/2019 at 1:40 PM, TonyHSD said:

I am not sure if you can take the spark plugs without removing the cawl. Only cylinider 1 I can do without removing cowl but with regular 16mm sockets, I need the cawl to be removed.  Europe Toyota forces us to replace sparkplugs at 60k miles instead of regular 120k miles in USA for any Iridium Spark plugs. Brake fluid flush is also special only in Europe, USA Toyota does not specify brake fluid flush besides bleeding it after brake pads replacement or when it failed strip test/anti corrosion and water content test.   In my case, water content is always <2% in Auris Hybrid even after 60k miles/5 years.. 

19 minutes ago, AisinW said:

In my case, water content is always <2% in Auris Hybrid even after 60k miles/5 years

That is interesting that you are measuring this.  Is the tool you are using reasonably priced for DIY use?

Tools that I had looked at for this were often expensive at £250 ish, (which is probably boiling a sample of the fluid in situ), or a 'pen type' - very cheap, using electrical resistance, these are sometimes reported to give variable results.

In a different vein, wheels/tyres get 'rotated' every service in the USA to equalise wear (if i've understood this correctly), but never a mention in the schedule over here.

3 hours ago, AisinW said:

I am not sure if you can take the spark plugs without removing the cawl. Only cylinider 1 I can do without removing cowl but with regular 16mm sockets, I need the cawl to be removed.  Europe Toyota forces us to replace sparkplugs at 60k miles instead of regular 120k miles in USA for any Iridium Spark plugs. Brake fluid flush is also special only in Europe, USA Toyota does not specify brake fluid flush besides bleeding it after brake pads replacement or when it failed strip test/anti corrosion and water content test.   In my case, water content is always <2% in Auris Hybrid even after 60k miles/5 years.. 

Hi, yes on auris and very likely on Prius too spark plugs can be changed without removing anything around the wipers. You will need to use different size extension bars. The interval for change is 60k miles, you can easily go over that but remember when the plugs gets old and worn they contribute towards coils failure therefore better change them on time. 
Regards 

• 3 months later...

I checked mine at 60k miles and put them back.  It is too early, In USA with exact same Iridium Denso, the interval is 120k miles, and they are still fine with less than 10% wear.    For brake fluid, you can get it from Amazon or eBay for less than $5.  It is simple ohmeter tools and estimates really well. You do not need expensive tools for such testing water content in brake fluid.  Toyota brake system is really sealed well not like GM or other brands.  In USA, no one ever change Toyota brake fluid except some enthusiast.  Not even dealer have the recommendation in their manuals.  Usually brake fluid change  every 60k miles or 6 years is sufficient, because from copper strip test (anticorrosion additives) usually need to be re-boost by replacing it with fresh fluid.   However, in USA most mechanics recommends Transmission fluid interval of 30-100k miles. For Toyota WS fluid , dealer recommends 100k miles but I did it every 60k miles.   In mountainous road in Austria and Swiss, definitely 2-4 years brake fluid interval is important and transmission fluid replacement also should be more often, probably 40k miles if you want keep it really long time. 

• 1 year later...

The INVALID MODE sequence for Toyota Auris 2014 is the same as for Prius G3 presented by NutAboutBolts in the video? Anybody tested already? Thanks!

LATER EDIT: Yes, it works for my Auris TS 2014, too. I just tested.

• Like 1

You done even need to set the car in any mode, you need someone to press and hold the brake pedal while you open and close the air bleeding valve and get the dirty fluid flushed out. Remember to fill up full brake fluid reservoir and not to keep brake pump operating more than 5 sec at a time. I have done brake fluid change a couple of times on more than one car. 👌👍

Why do I remember the operation time limit of the pump was 100 sec before throwing codes?...

When I open drivers door the pump works for 10 sec.

2 hours ago, Victorine said:

Why do I remember the operation time limit of the pump was 100 sec before throwing codes?...

When I open drivers door the pump works for 10 sec.

You will empty the brake fluid tank if you keep it longer. 2-3 sec open and close the blender then release the brake pedal. Top up fluid and repeat. 

Yes, yes, I knew that, it's obvious. I thought you were talking about something else, sorry.

The car care nut did a video on brake fluid here that may be of interest. 

Car care nut also recommends transmission fluid change at 50 to 60k miles as well as repeatedly lecturing about 5k oil changes. I think it's worth taking him seriously as he's a very experienced Toyota master mechanic 

• Like 1

Oh, I've watched that one, too. His method is different, though. No Techstream, nor INVALID MODE. Simple vacuum bleeding followed by dripping. Just don't get the pump running in hybrids. I'd think NutzAboutBolts method is more thorough.

• Like 1

Yeah, he's not doing a full fluid replacement, he seems to be wary of advising DIYers  to do the full scan tool method in case something goes wrong. I'll be doing mine within the next year so interested in other folks experience here 

Not sure many more folks has done it, it use to be cheap service at Toyota dealers around £45 for brake fluid, although I am not sure for that price what exactly they will do, perhaps only suck the fluid from the reservoir and top up with new one. , something that everyone can do at home. There are various methods to replace brake fluid, however the best one imo is the old school one, with help from a friend to pump up and hold the brake pedal.

⚠️This will allow dirt and moisture to escape from the callipers and leave the pistons rust free and operate properly. 

People think that it’s not a problem to keep the fluid for many years, but it’s wrong and especially on low miles cars, they suffer the most. The pistons get rusty and stop returning properly and eventually get stuck along with stuck slider pins and the results are reduced braking force and premature wear on the brake components. If you look at your wheels and see brake dust reddish brown colour you likely to have exactly that happened. 
The less you drive the more you have to take care of your car unless the car is locked up in ventilated and moisture controlled garage. 
Brake fluid I use is ATE Dot 3 from carparts4less. 

369C2757-A638-4255-9128-410778A4CA98.jpeg

Car care nut suggested that all the dealers will be doing will the partial job so not a total fluid change. Trouble is you just can't trust them or even speak to the mechanic who's working on the car. I've seen the results of brake fluid unchanged for many years, gets full of dirt let alone moisture 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links