Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Plug-in Charge Mode

toshtosh

Enjoyed reading this thread. Can I ask about a slightly different scenario. Apparently Charge Mode can be selected when the car is simply parked.

Can you go off for a coffee and return half an hour later to continue your journey having left the engine running to charge Battery?

Would the car being stationary alter the efficiency/economy calculations?

Would have been useful during my few days touring a part of Scotland where charge stations are rare and often are not reliable due to internet issues.

Should maybe say that my reason for wanting to maximise time in EV mode is simply that I think the car drives better (more enjoyable) when in EV mode. Particularly suited to single track/passing place driving where you can rarely risk going much over 30 mph.

7 hours ago, GordonPriusPlugIn said:

Enjoyed reading this thread. Can I ask about a slightly different scenario. Apparently Charge Mode can be selected when the car is simply parked.

Can you go off for a coffee and return half an hour later to continue your journey having left the engine running to charge battery?

Would the car being stationary alter the efficiency/economy calculations?

Would have been useful during my few days touring a part of Scotland where charge stations are rare and often are not reliable due to internet issues.

Should maybe say that my reason for wanting to maximise time in EV mode is simply that I think the car drives better (more enjoyable) when in EV mode. Particularly suited to single track/passing place driving where you can rarely risk going much over 30 mph.

That would be an excellent way to destroy your mpg figure, pollute the local environment and get your car stolen. Other than that, I don't see any issues... 😁

• Haha 4

Apologies, that probably wasn't the most welcoming response to a new member!

Using charge mode whilst stationary is possible, but not a good idea for the reasons stated above. Being stationary with the ICE running is the worst possible scenario for mpg, and you will never get back those losses from the time gained in EV mode. It is also likely to take a very long time to get any meaningful accumulation of charge in the Battery whilst not moving, given that it it takes anywhere between 1-2 miles of driving at speed to gain 1 mile of EV range in Charge mode.

I appreciate your reason for asking - driving in EV mode is certainly more enjoyable, but I'd suggest there are some sacrifices not worth making. For me, Charge mode is one of them. As per the original posts, Charge mode might possibly have some utility when charging down the motorway at 80+mph but in all other scenarios it's going to cost you money in lost mpg. Using it whilst the car isn't moving just multiplies those losses.

• Like 2

Note that leaving a car unattended with the engine running if parked on the road is illegal.

Force charging hybrids by running the petrol engine isn't an efficient use of fuel.  There are energy conversion losses when you burn fuel to charge the Battery. Then more conversion losses when using the Battery to move the car.

Just let the hybrid system take care of charging itself and you top up the HV Battery from charging stations when possible.

If you want to see more of what is going on there is an excellent free android app called hybrid assistant.

15 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Note that leaving a car unattended with the engine running if parked on the road is illegal.

And so is leaving the engine idling while on a public road or car park (other than private land).  It even applies in traffic queues if you are stationary for more than a minute or so and don't turn off the engine.

The reason is that unnecessarily idling engines collectively account for a very significant volume of harmful emissions, including Carbon Monoxide, CO2 (greenhouse gas), NO2 and NO (aka NOx gasses) (which are the ones shortening tens of thousand of lives ever year).  Amazingly (given the harm these gasses cause to children), lots of drivers leave their engines running while waiting for kids outside schools!

There were lots of press stories at the beginning of the year about the government wanting to increase the fine from £20 to £100 and that councils (who have to enforce it) would need to recruit more wardens to enforce this.  Unfortunately, this got side-tracked when the Coronavirus reared its head.

I often chill in one of a couple of car parks near the beach, and it's surprising how many people (especially diesel owners) park up and leave their engine running for ½ hour, an hour or more.  I find it really annoying and often end up finding another space as the loud clattering resemblance of a 50-year old tractor is intensely annoying compared to the calming effect of gently lapping waves.

More info here: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emissions/idling/

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links