Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bumper Damage

Pinkhoneyb

Hi all,

I got in a mess on a hill with my Aygo today. I ended up having to reverse back and, in all the stress of the situation, a root of a plant (or something) got between the wheel and the bumper and tore the bumper off.

I was wondering whether anyone could give me advice? Do I need a new bumper? Is there a particular part that’s damaged? Or does it somehow just need to be pushed back and clipped in somehow? I looked at videos on Youtube and posts here but cant quite make sense of what exactly needs to be done. Please see the pictures attached.

Also, there was much smoke and the red warning sign came on. After getting myself out of the pickle, she appears to be okay but wonder whether this might have done long lasting damage to the engine?

Many thanks for anyone who can offer some suggestions!

B59D4717-8089-4218-A475-151BD7427250.jpeg

BD6DAA0C-20DD-4C88-8B35-2610E4380ED2.jpeg

A1BA300F-1B68-4480-A882-54A0FBCC0AC3.jpeg

06DC76B8-7157-4A38-8253-62D1B47F2462.jpeg

06C63431-DC81-4D37-8D3D-60A3B6AFB44A.jpeg

Really sorry to hear of your little adventure. The long and short of it all is that I suspect you will have slightly bent or pulled out of the shape the metal part of the bumper that you can't easily see. Whether a bodyshop could/would just straighten that I wouldn't like to say... although I'm pretty sure it could be done easily enough. The bumper would still have to come off to do that though.

I can't tell if the little plastic clips at the ends are damaged or not but they should be easily replaceable by a body shop if they are damaged.

The smoke... were you slipping the clutch a lot?... as I suspect that is what that was. The engine itself will be absolutely fine and if the clutch feels normal and smooth and still bites at the same point it always did then you're probably OK.         

I used auto restore (sister company of autoglass) see if they can help you with that? You probably just overheated your clutch when you were struggling on the hill. 

There is no metal on the bumper. So if it doesnt just click back in you will likely have broken the black plastic clips that the bumper clips onto.

Is this an MMT clutch? If not, the warning light wouldnt have been the clutch.

Thank you so much to those who have replied.

I have tried to click it back in place and have had some joy but it will not go fully back in - there also appears to be some bolts missing inside. I might need a new bracket it would seem?

I plan to visit a garage tomorrow and see what they say. I will be sure to post an update after.

As for the clutch/smoke, this is not something I know much about but the car is automatic. Thanks again!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links