Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Combined output engine + electric motor

nielshm

The Corolla has a specified combined output of 112 bhp. Petrol engine alone is 99 bhp. 

Lets say the car is driven flat out for hours, what will the real combined output be? Does the electric motor make any difference at very high speed, or can the petrol engine still charge the batterys, even if needs to deliver maximum power ? 

On 10/24/2019 at 5:51 AM, nielshm said:

The Corolla has a specified combined output of 112 bhp. Petrol engine alone is 99 bhp. 

Lets say the car is driven flat out for hours, what will the real combined output be? Does the electric motor make any difference at very high speed, or can the petrol engine still charge the batterys, even if needs to deliver maximum power ? 

Not totally sure about the specs you are quoting. In the UK, the entry level car is 1.2 ltrs non Hybrid fully petrol powered 114bhp, manual transmission.

Next come the Hybrids with CVT, the 1.8ltr delivering combined 120php and the 2.0ltr delivering 178bhp.

I have the 2.0, and on the motorway, I can reach 70mph (national speed limit) on EV only, unless I accelerate hard, in which case the electric motor and petrol engine work together to reach 70. At cruising speed, the Hybrid system will swap between EV, EV and petrol, and petrol only depending on power demands and Battery status. Yes, the petrol engine delivers charge to the Battery as well as power to the wheels at speed. I have noted that there is always enough reserve in the Battery to enable EV and petrol to work together to give power when needed. When cruising, the battery will be recharged.

But maybe you are asking for a test on the Autobahn?! I can't help with that. I'm sure there will be a review out there somewhere, where a driver puts the Corolla into a Rally and monitors what is happening with the power mix in that situation.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links