Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starting problem with Yaris!

mulle

Hello. My fiancees Yaris would not start today after a 20min brake. The dashboard lights did not turn on and the start motor did not "start/move". I drive to help her and started to move the gearstick in different gears, after that I turn the steeringwheel left and right and turned the key and the car started! Anyone that have same problem?

3 weeks ago I replace the starting motor and the Battery. The car has 1.0 liter petrol engine, 2007, 150000km.

The floormat was in correct position (I have heard that it can slide up and "jam" shift pedal from reaching down enough to be able to start the engine).

The engine also stopped a short period while driving the car! But it started again very soon. 

sounds like an electrical/connection related issue. If the steering wheel did the trick then most likely the issue is the ignition switch or a lose connection somewhere in there.

When this happens do you get any electrical supply to other parts of the car (roof internal light)? If there are signs of power to other parts of the car i would focus on the ignition switch area. If there is absolutely no power to other parts of the car then it has to be a Battery related issue (loose cable somewhere?)

NOTE: The floor mat won't kill electrical supply to the dashboard, if you had no dashboard lights or any other form of electrical power on the dashboard then this is not related to the floormat thing

5 hours ago, flash22 said:

Make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight

+1

Sounds like a loose connection...

8 hours ago, mecheng46 said:

sounds like an electrical/connection related issue. If the steering wheel did the trick then most likely the issue is the ignition switch or a lose connection somewhere in there.

When this happens do you get any electrical supply to other parts of the car (roof internal light)? If there are signs of power to other parts of the car i would focus on the ignition switch area. If there is absolutely no power to other parts of the car then it has to be a battery related issue (loose cable somewhere?)

NOTE: The floor mat won't kill electrical supply to the dashboard, if you had no dashboard lights or any other form of electrical power on the dashboard then this is not related to the floormat thing

She told that there was only 1 lamp lighting in the dashboard when she tried to start. I think also its the ignition switch that is broken. Ordering one tomorrow and going to change it next weekend.

8 hours ago, flash22 said:

Make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight

The terminals are cleaned few weeks ago when I replaced Battery. They are also tight.

On 11/3/2019 at 4:17 PM, Madasafish said:

+1

Sounds like a loose connection...

You were right! It was the ground cable from the Battery to chassi that was loose! Now the car works again 🙂 Thanks!

There a thing called Occam's razor

• The Principle of Plurality - Plurality should not be posited without necessity
  • The Principle of Parsimony - It is pointless to do with more what is done with less

E.G.

The tire on the car is flat.
Of possible explanations

a) The screw stuck in the tire let the air out, or b) Serial tire-flatteners sliced it open with a laser scalpel, creating an imperceptible hole, then inserted the screw in another part of the tire to mark their victory,

explanation "a" is more likely

This is as known a KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links