Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

WiFi settings missing in setup

OXYGEN

Hello,

I just got my Corolla 2.0 TS with “Touch 2 with Go” infotainment according to documents.

I have downloaded and read the manual. According to the info there, in Setup - Wi-Fi there should be lots of options like “Access to network”, “Available networks”, “Detailed settings”, etc.

Unfortunately, in my car I can only see “Wi-Fi power” on-off, Mirrorlink and Miracast. Only these three. Switching the wifi on does not add the missing options.

Any ideas what could be wrong with my infotainment system?

Just wanted to let you know I have the same situation.

Even though the manual says there should be an 'Access to network' option. There is none.

Maybe it's available only for higher trims?

10 minutes ago, Carl LT said:

Just wanted to let you know I have the same situation.

Even though the manual says there should be an 'Access to network' option. There is none.

Maybe it's available only for higher trims?

But mine is the highest possible for my country...

There's an extensive discussion about this topic on german site priusfreunde.de:

Short summary: Some early show cars and prebuilt deliveries had this feature. Seamed to be related to where the navigation system was installed: When built by the factory with navigation already included, the car was equipped with DCU 17TDT2EU-DA01 coming with WiFi fully enabled. Most cars, however, were built by factory without navigation (despite being ordered with sat nav). Navigation was then added at the import harbor. In this case the DCU unit 17TDT1EU-DA01 was installed by the factory. This version seemingly comes with WiFi connectivity partially disabled. Thus it's impossible to connect to WiFi hotspots as described by the navigation manual, but WiFi Direct - e.g. Miracast - still works. Therefore the difference was concluded to be software related. Customers were not informed about were navigation was to be installed into the car and whether it will come with WiFi enabled or not. When people started to ask about this feature, they got only useless answers from their dealers. E.g. that feature was dropped and had never been advertised (ignoring the fact that the manual still explains this feature, a more or less defunct WiFi menu still exists and several people drove show cars with WiFi enabled...).

For in-depth information, please refer to these three threads (attention: quite a lot of german posts with mixed topics):

Recently, the WiFi topic was picked up again by user hsd4hilux: https://www.priusfreunde.de/portal/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=117&func=view&catid=69&id=536294&limit=15&limitstart=615#566171

He discovered an undocumented software update v1011 for DCU 17TDT1EU-DA01 which enables WiFi! He found this update when reading bulletins for other multimedia software updates (e.g. MEU v1530) on toyota-tech.eu and playing around with the download urls. He noticed that the file name of the download contained the model id of the component, e.g. 17TMT2EU-FA00_Latest.zip. He exchanged the model id by 17TDT1EU-DA01 and got v1011. Nevertheless, several users were unable to find a related bulletin id, that describes what has been changed in v1011 and that could be used to tell the dealer what to install to fix the WiFi issue. Hsd4hilux says, that while installing the update oneself is not more complicated than installing map updates, it might void warranty if not done by a dealer. However, without bulletin id, it's hard to convince the dealer that a fix for the WiFi issue exists...

If you are not concerned about warranty issues or breaking an expensive car, you can install the update yourself as follows: Get yourself a toyota-tech.eu subscription. Search for MEU update v1530, which is bulletin BE-00141T-TME. Whithin this document, there's the v1530 (latest) download url. Within that url, just exchange the model id of the MEU with your DCU model id. The installation steps of the MEU bulletin apply to the DCU update as well.

Be warned: You do this on your on risk and might loose warranty. Convince your dealer to apply the update if you are unsure about all this or if you are not willing to risk a broken multimedia unit!

Let me end with a question to your community: Is any one of you able to find the bulletin id describing the canges in v1011? Any insider information on that topic?

On 11/11/2019 at 8:22 PM, Kabelsalat said:

There's an extensive discussion about this topic on german site priusfreunde.de:

Short summary: Some early show cars and prebuilt deliveries had this feature. Seamed to be related to where the navigation system was installed: When built by the factory with navigation already included, the car was equipped with DCU 17TDT2EU-DA01 coming with WiFi fully enabled. Most cars, however, were built by factory without navigation (despite being ordered with sat nav). Navigation was then added at the import harbor. In this case the DCU unit 17TDT1EU-DA01 was installed by the factory. This version seemingly comes with WiFi connectivity partially disabled. Thus it's impossible to connect to WiFi hotspots as described by the navigation manual, but WiFi Direct - e.g. Miracast - still works. Therefore the difference was concluded to be software related. Customers were not informed about were navigation was to be installed into the car and whether it will come with WiFi enabled or not. When people started to ask about this feature, they got only useless answers from their dealers. E.g. that feature was dropped and had never been advertised (ignoring the fact that the manual still explains this feature, a more or less defunct WiFi menu still exists and several people drove show cars with WiFi enabled...).

For in-depth information, please refer to these three threads (attention: quite a lot of german posts with mixed topics):

Recently, the WiFi topic was picked up again by user hsd4hilux: https://www.priusfreunde.de/portal/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=117&func=view&catid=69&id=536294&limit=15&limitstart=615#566171

He discovered an undocumented software update v1011 for DCU 17TDT1EU-DA01 which enables WiFi! He discovered this update when reading bulletins for other multimedia software updates (e.g. MEU v1530) on toyota-tech.eu and playing around with the download urls. He noticed that the file name of the download contained the model id of the component, e.g. 17TMT2EU-FA00_Latest.zip. He exchanged the model id by 17TDT1EU-DA01 and got v1011. Nevertheless, several users were unable to find a related bulletin id, that describes what has been changed in v1011 and that could be used to tell the dealer what to install to fix the WiFi issue. Hsd4linux says, that while installing the update oneself is not more complicated than installing map updates, it might void warranty if not done by a dealer. However, without bulletin id, it's hard to convince the dealer that a fix for the WiFi issue exists...

If you are not concerned about warranty issues or breaking an expensive car, you can install the update yourself as follows: Get yourself a toyota-tech.eu subscription. Search for MEU update v1530, which is bulletin BE-00141T-TME. Whithin this document, there's the v1530 (latest) download url. Within that url, just exchange the model id of the MEU with your DCU model id. The installation steps of the MEU bulletin apply to the DCU update as well.

Be warned: You do this on your on risk and might loose warranty. Convince your dealer to apply the update if you are unsure about all this or if you are not willing to risk a broken multimedia unit!

Let me end with a question to your community: Is any one of you able to find the bulletin id describing the canges in v1011? Any insider information on that topic?

Kabelsalat thank you very much for this detailed information. I will try to convince my dealer to make the update.

May I also ask you about the traffic, as it seems you have great knowledge?

Even I use bluetooth for internet and Weather, StreetView, Google POI search, etc. work, traffic (with set source internet) gives error few minutes after starting the car. The error is “Connection failure! Traffic information over internet could not be retrieved”.

Do you think it might be somehow related to the missing wifi functionality? Or have you heard of such issue and is it possible that the same mentioned update could fix it too?

Thank you once again!

The information I provided above is only a summary of priusfreunde.de discussions. The only information added by me is the v1530 bulletin id. I posted here at this UK board in hope for further information on DCU update v1011, most importantly a corresponding bulletin id.

Nevertheless I may be able to help you with your connectivity issues. All features work with bluetooth as well. WiFi is only needed when you want to place a mobile (usb powered) hotspot in the car for every driver to have online services available without tethering their own phone. I'm not aware of any mobile hotspot with bluetooth. In most other use cases you should probably prefer bluetooth over wifi as bluetooth consumes less power from your phone's Battery.

Back to your problem: When using android, you have to explicitly enable bluetooth tethering in addition to bluetooth itself. Confusingly, the related option is not found in the bluetooth hive of the settings app, but within "Network & Internet -> Hotspot and Tethering" (Android 9). Bluetooth tethering will also disable everytime you turn of WiFi hotspot and needs to be enabled again manually.

4 minutes ago, Kabelsalat said:

The information I provided above is only a summary of priusfreunde.de discussions. The only information added by me is the v1530 bulletin id. I posted here at this UK board in hope for further information on DCU update v1011, most importantly a corresponding bulletin id.

Nevertheless I may be able to help you with your connectivity issues. All features work with bluetooth as well. WiFi is only needed when you want to place a mobile (usb powered) hotspot in the car for every driver to have online services available without tethering their own phone. I'm not aware of any mobile hotspot with bluetooth. In most other use cases you should probably prefer bluetooth over wifi as it consumes less power from your phone's battery.

Back to your problem: When using android, you have to explicitly enable bluetooth tethering. Confusingly, the related option is not found in the bluetooth hive of the settings app, but within "Network & Internet -> Hotspot and Tethering" (Android 9). Bluetooth tethering will also disable everytime you turn of WiFi hotspot and needs to be enabled again manually.

Thank you once again.

My problem is probably something else - the phone is iPhone and internet over bluetooth works for other connected services like Weather, StreetView etc.

It should be something wrong with the traffic itself, not just the internet connection.

On german corollas you can check internet connection as follows: Go to map screen. If there's a "add speed camera" symbol (cam with a plus) in the bottom right of the display, there's internet connectivity. If the symbol is missing, something is wrong with the internet connection. Don't know if the speed camery feature is avilable everywhere in europe. But think so, as an exact warning would be illegal in germany as well and they are still providing a proximity warning.

3 minutes ago, Kabelsalat said:

On german corollas you can check internet connection as follows: Go to map screen. If there's a "add speed camera" symbol (cam with a plus) in the bottom right of the display, there's internet connectivity. If the symbol is missing, something is wrong with the internet connection. Don't know if the speed camery feature is avilable everywhere in europe. But think so, as an exact warning would be illegal in germany as well and they are still providing a proximity warning.

Yes, I have the "add speed camera" symbol.

• 3 months later...
On 11/11/2019 at 8:22 PM, Kabelsalat said:

He discovered an undocumented software update v1011 for DCU 17TDT1EU-DA01 which enables WiFi! He found this update when reading bulletins for other multimedia software updates (e.g. MEU v1530) on toyota-tech.eu and playing around with the download urls. He noticed that the file name of the download contained the model id of the component, e.g. 17TMT2EU-FA00_Latest.zip. He exchanged the model id by 17TDT1EU-DA01 and got v1011. Nevertheless, several users were unable to find a related bulletin id, that describes what has been changed in v1011 and that could be used to tell the dealer what to install to fix the WiFi issue. Hsd4hilux says, that while installing the update oneself is not more complicated than installing map updates, it might void warranty if not done by a dealer. However, without bulletin id, it's hard to convince the dealer that a fix for the WiFi issue exists...

Hello

I have a problem with the wifi connection.

I have the audio version 17TDT1EU-DA02 (without navigation) and v1011 software

My phone is not found in the "MifforLink Wi-Fi connection" menu.

I have a Samung Galaxy S7 phone and the Mirrorlink function on the cable works well.

Some solution?

Does your radio have the wifi module you can find the settings in the 2nd hidden service menu

if it doesn't have it, It's a tethered usb mirrorlink/miracast

• 3 years later...
On 11/11/2019 at 9:22 PM, Kabelsalat said:

Hello, Thanks a lot for this very good explanation !
I was able to update my MEU thanks to your instructions from v1040 to 1150 though it did not solve the missing wifi menus 😞
I will try to connect it to internet through usb cable or bluetooth.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links