Sign in to follow this  
superclarkey

Corolla 2020 hybrid 2.0 - comma.ai openpilot, anyone using?

Anyone using comma.ai openpilot with a UK Corolla Touring? 

looking to order one from the states yet can’t find anyone using one in the uk that I can find.

its $1000 basically, turns your car into a much cleaver driving system.  A friend of my recommended it (from states) and there are plenty of videos of why its far better than the basic system the factory gives use etc.

interested to hear peoples thoughts.

will check with the insurance if its going to cause an issue, but lets presume for now its fine.

thanks

I had seen that a couple of months a go and whilst it looked intriguing i don't really fancy modifying the car in that way!

You will need to declare it as far as insurance is concerned...

Spoke with my Insurance as they wasn't that bothered as it still uses the factory system. 

I hear what your saying but its a plug and play unit, it can be removed very easily if required...  They just updated it also so that you can actually refit your trim afterwards. 

It would be great add on for the car imho but just wanted to see if anyone in the uk was actually using it first.

• Like 1

Keep in mind the model compatibility list is for US market models which are in most cases different from European models.

There are cheaper ways to commit suicide that don't risk taking other people with you.

And I say that as a 53 year old that has been programming computers for over 30 years.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AndrueC said:

There are cheaper ways to commit suicide that don't risk taking other people with you.

And I say that as a 53 year old that has been programming computers for over 30 years.

As a fairly recently retired industrial control systems engineer, I just had so many issues with this - but I think you have summed it up very succinctly!

• Like 2

On 12/23/2019 at 10:44 AM, superclarkey said:

Spoke with my Insurance as they wasn't that bothered as it still uses the factory system. 

I hear what your saying but its a plug and play unit, it can be removed very easily if required...  They just updated it also so that you can actually refit your trim afterwards. 

It would be great add on for the car imho but just wanted to see if anyone in the uk was actually using it first.

Is it worth checking with your dealer things like impact on warranty etc? It would be  a shame if something needed repairing within the 5 yr warranty, and Toyota walk away due to tampering with the safety systems.

3 hours ago, Timmon said:

Is it worth checking with your dealer things like impact on warranty etc? It would be  a shame if something needed repairing within the 5 yr warranty, and Toyota walk away due to tampering with the safety systems.

I think I might be more concerned what the views of the police might be if I happened to be involved in an accident, especially a serious one!  And always remember, big brother Toyota is recording your data.

19 hours ago, Clockwork said:

I think I might be more concerned what the views of the police might be if I happened to be involved in an accident, especially a serious one!  And always remember, big brother Toyota is recording your data.

Indeed. But insurance seem comfortable for some reason. It all seems a bad idea to me, regardless. Since there are concerns about the system being able to dip the headlights automatically at the right moment, however good this software might be, it can only be as good as the hardware feeding it the information it needs to make decisions. I'm not sure I trust the Toyota hardware, however happy I am overall with the Corolla.

Its really only an add on to the factory system, but its still extremely basic, you need to be ready to take control at a moments notice.  

If your climbing into the back seat that is something different, however the unit has a backwards facing camera that monitors you paying attention, moment you stop paying attention it slows down by releasing the throttle.

my only reserve on getting one is that It will be in the way of my view, I would prefer it was 100% hidden.

8 hours ago, superclarkey said:

Its really only an add on to the factory system, but its still extremely basic, you need to be ready to take control at a moments notice.  

If your climbing into the back seat that is something different, however the unit has a backwards facing camera that monitors you paying attention, moment you stop paying attention it slows down by releasing the throttle.

my only reserve on getting one is that It will be in the way of my view, I would prefer it was 100% hidden.

There was a bad crash reported recently involving this kind of technology, not in this country, where the driver did not take control, I think they were using mobile or something. Reported last year. Anything that requires you to take control, means that while you are not, your attention will lapse. I think on British roads, probably a bad idea. Maybe try around Silverstone circuit with no other cars on the circuit, until developments have moved on a lot further.