Sign in to follow this  
Itsfine

Yaris hybrid key problem

2014 Yaris Excel.

I have a problem with the key.  When I start up. I get a yellow key symbol flashing. If I wait a couple of minutes it disappears.  Also sometimes, when I switch off, the yellow light flashes and the alarm beeps.  I have to start up again and switch off again.

It was suggested that it could be a Battery problem so I have new batteries in both fobs.

My local dealer says they don't know what it is as they have not come across it before.

I am concerned that I might get stranded if next time I stop it won't start.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

If you have the ignition on and open the door the key reminder ding's

What brand batteries did you fit ? These fobs eat the cheap batteries, or If they are old and slightly discharged (The fob's do not like low voltage)

If you have the Smart entry and Keyless Go , You can get in the car with the key (if the lock/unlock buttons don't work) all you do then is put the fob on the start button until you hear the steering lock then with your foot on the brake press and hold the start button or press the start button twice

Thanks flash22. The dealer fitted the new batteries but I will check them and also try the procedure you suggest. Do you know what minimum voltage the batteries should be?  Also, if the car Battery (not the main Battery) is low, would that affect the key operation?

9 hours ago, Itsfine said:

Do you know what minimum voltage the batteries should be?

When the fob batteries are new they measure just over 3.3 volts.  By the time they have discharged to 3.05 volts then I would expect them to start becoming unpredictable in use.  If your batteries are below 3.3 volts already, then they weren't new ones when they were fitted - even rubbish no-name batteries should last longer than a few weeks. 

Did they really change them tho ?

Some cheap no name batteries come slightly discharged they also make low energy batteries

Get either Duracell or Energizer CR2032 (£4 for 2 in Wickes)

They are very simple to change, Just get the new batteries out of the packet first (some have a film peel on the back too)

Thanks both for your advice.  With COVID restrictions it may be while before I can get out for a test run!

Anyway, I have checked the batteries and they are reading 2.99 and 3.02 and do not have any maker's logo so that seems to line up with your info. In future I will change them myself to be sure they are actually being changed! I will buy some Duracell or Energizer as soon as I can.

Thanks again