Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

At wit’s end - Rev counter wiring

Kristian05

Hi everyone,

I’ve been struggling to get a tachometer wired in my 2014 Peugeot 107. Mine is one of the last ones made, and as such, doesn’t have the plug and play connector in place for the tachometer.

I’ve taken the car to an auto electrician, and they couldn’t figure out how to get the rev signal. They could only get a weak signal from the coil.

Does anyone know where the car gets the rev signal from and where this needs to be wired in?

Thanks so much!

Are you sure there isn't a connector hidden inside the speedo housing? Try contacting city bug store,  they might be able to help. A Haynes manuAl with a circuit diagram would help.

• Like 1

i'm with john on this one

i am sure the plug is tucked away so have another look

Thanks for the reply! 🙂 Unfortunately, no. The final year of production didn’t have the plug. I stripped away the entire cowling and starter cover, and nothing. Other owners of the 2013/2014 run-out models have reported the same thing. Bit of a faf, and has made life hard to try and get it fitted 🙂

Is it the 1kr engine ? 3 cylinders signals are a little different to the rpm on a 4 cylinder, i will have a look and the info i have

The tach signal comes from the ecu, the easiest place to tap it is on the power steering or dlc 3 (see if pin 9 is wired), you can get the illumination from the back of the speedo and a ground (dlc 3 pin 4)

Click to enlarge

1119162518_aygotachdiagram.thumb.JPG.dd69b0f8655482ec5828383950b70692.JPG

Hi eygo and Flash22! Thank you so much! This is really helpful! 

Yes, it’s the 1KR engine. 

Really appreciate the advice. Will report back this week with, hopefully, a story of success. 😊

I forgot it also needs a switch live

That's what you needed a circuit. Might I suggest a small cheap multi meter too from Halford fir £8. Makes finding switched 12v and earth's easier.

• 1 year later...

Hi, just bought a 2012 model for my daughter and the rev counter to retrofit. Unfortunatley there is no lead and plug behind the clocks. Did anyone ever find a way to get it wired in. Many thanks.

Ah yes, didn't realize this was an old thread. Only saw the last unread post. Sorry.

I would rather be interested in the additional assembly and connection of the analog, hand-held tachometer on Aygo manufactured in the years 2015 - 2021. I own Aygo's year of production 2021 without any tachometer and I am considering additional assembly. Does anyone already have any experience with this, or does they know the assembly procedure and its connection?

8 minutes ago, DusanCZ said:

I would rather be interested in the additional assembly and connection of the analog, hand-held tachometer on Aygo manufactured in the years 2015 - 2021. I own Aygo's year of production 2021 without any tachometer and I am considering additional assembly. Does anyone already have any experience with this, or does they know the assembly procedure and its connection?

The rev counter is for the mk1, the rev counter is built into the gauges on the Mk2 there are plenty of aftermarket solutions you can also fit the other type of gauges but you either need them programmed or swap the eeprom over

please start a thread of your own

Rev counter 1st generation Aygo (up to 2014)

s-l225.jpg

Rev counter 2nd generation Aygo (from 2014)

GK67OPV-used-TOYOTA-AYGO-HATCHBACK-10-VVTi-XStyle-5dr-petrol-WHITE-2017-speedrev-HH-M-16.jpg

For the 2nd generation the entire instrument cluster including speedometer would need to be replaced.

I don't know about these Aygos, but a lot of modern cars transmit the engine speed signal signal digitally. So it may not be possible to drive a traditional dial unless the instrument panel has a suitable output for it.

It's still a PWM voltage, it's a calculated output from the ecu similar to a VSS waveform - same principle as a coil and distributor setup - the points close what pulses the coil the higher the RPM the closer the on/off signal are together,  pwm just gives you a more predictable square (circa 5v) wave form

On 2/10/2022 at 1:49 PM, flash22 said:

It's still a PWM voltage, it's a calculated output from the ecu similar to a VSS waveform - same principle as a coil and distributor setup - the points close what pulses the coil the higher the RPM the closer the on/off signal are together,  pwm just gives you a more predictable square (circa 5v) wave form

No probs, was thinking it might be sent over the CAN bus.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 8:55 AM, PetrolDave said:

The plug wasn't present in newer models, but all the wiring is available behind the speedo still.

Thanks for that. I’ve looked at the electrical circuit but was struggling to relate that to the wiring behind the clocks. Was hoping to find a set of coloured wires to tap into or someone that could explain how to practically do it. I’ve made a temp solution worh an obd adaptor and an app but would love to get the one I bought fitted. Appreciate any further help.

The diagram above shows the wire colours but i do have colour diagrams and connector pin outs, 2012 is a changeover year too

if you look at the wiring you may find the plug taped to the loom, but the wiring is a bit tight

14 minutes ago, flash22 said:

The diagram above shows the wire colours but i do have colour diagrams and connector pin outs, 2012 is a changeover year too

Thank you. Appreciate the help. Not a numpty usually just getting my head around the connectors to look for and the pins. Sounds like I need to find pin 9 the ecu tach feed as the main one. The rest from your description should be around locally. Cheers.

Just collated some info

looks like it comes through 3 wiring combs, and they are a pig to work with (usually taped up in the main loom)

i will see if there is an easier place to get them from

What radio do you have ? Does it have bluetooth and USB ? or just an AUX socket on the front ?

Aygo mk1 tacho.pdf

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links