Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris TS 2003 front disc brake cover replacement

Edwin2103

The dust cover plates of my Yaris TS 2003 are rusty and I want to replace them. Is there someone who can give me an advice how to do this the most easy way?

I also have half rusted away disc dust covers that although are ok at the MOT test I would like to replace so I am watching replies to this question with interest as I am not sure how big a job this is?

Good luck....................

Undo the hub nut, remove the caliper and disc, pull the hub then you can get to the 3 torx bolts that hold the backing plate it will all be extremely rusted - the wheel bearing may not like it tho

Ah, pulling the hub can you expand on this please?

You need to get the hub off because the back plate looks like this and won't come off with the hub in place.

As above, you will need a pulling tool with a slide hammer and a lot of swearing if you are not careful you will kill the bearing and that is a job on its own

Hi Sprout, 

I am a newbie on this forum , but I am not a newbie to working on cars. These 'dust covers' cause more headaches than most people think they are worth. It is not just Toyota that have them that require the hubs to be removed - usually then requiring new wheel bearings as it is not always the best practice to use bearing that have needed force to remove and re fit them.

Just getting the little mounting screws loose can see you having to uses heat and violence or grind them off then drill and tap to re mount the new plate. Depending on the car the covers can be cut off and the new ones cut to clear the hub on re fitting (meaning the hub does not have to be removed)...none of which is ideal.

On many Mercedes Benz models (for example) rusting rear covers can not be ignored as the rear (shoe in disc) handbrake has its return spring mounted to the cover. 

I am planning to do this very job myself soon and I am not looking forward to it to be honest !

Hi

As the MOT does not seem bothered about the dust cover half rusted away and it being a fair old job for not a lot of reward I think I will leave it and do something more useful. Thanks for the advice.

IIrc sma had a vid on a Kia recently doing this job - the hubs are a different design, but its worth a watch if you have time

A lot of people just do away with them, but I'm one of these if it's fitted it's there for a reason, the alternative is if, and if you can undo the torx screws,  with a pair of metal cutters cut the new back plate and bend it so your able to get round the hub and straighten out and bolt back, it's not perfect but works.

Yesterday I finished the job. It was easily done in less than an hour for both sides in total. I did not remove the hub etc., but tried to do it the alternative way. After removing the 3 screws (after 17 years they loosened quite easily) I cut the old plate with a hacksaw. After bending both ends I could remove them. Then with a 1mm grinding wheel I cut the new plates at the smallest section and bended both sides open to the front. Then it is possible to get them in position. Tighten them with the 3 screws and bend both sides back, apply some paint on the cutted positions and the job is done.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting, I think I will do that also

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links