Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Verso 2002 to 4 Petrol or diesel

Stevievb

Currently own a 2003 Verso 1.6 VVTI which I love except  I miss the low down pull of a diesel. Can you let me know how the two compare and what attention the diesel will require at this age. Does it have a cam belt ?

I had the 2.2 D-4D 136hp and no problems. Good synthetic oil with the right spec (because of the turbo and particles filter). It's reliable but in 11 years the only shop my knew was an official Toyota shop, all services done on time, that helps.

It is a chain drive engine, no replacement needed. I did 138.000km with the original brake pads. The Battery last 7 years.

Not good for the city (poor gas mileage), nice for the highway (lots of power, effortless acceleration). Tyres are expensive (extra load 99 weight index).

Now, I'm not sure when did the 2.2 engines (2AD-FTV) replaced the older 2.0. Mine was a 2008 model. The 2.0 was noticeably weaker.

21 minutes ago, JoaoM said:

I had the 2.2 D-4D 136hp and no problems. Good synthetic oil with the right spec (because of the turbo and particles filter). It's reliable but in 11 years the only shop my knew was an official Toyota shop, all services done on time, that helps.

It is a chain drive engine, no replacement needed. I did 138.000km with the original brake pads. The battery last 7 years.

Not good for the city (poor gas mileage), nice for the highway (lots of power, effortless acceleration). Tyres are expensive (extra load 99 weight index).

Now, I'm not sure when did the 2.2 engines (2AD-FTV) replaced the older 2.0. Mine was a 2008 model. The 2.0 was noticeably weaker.

Different Corolla Verso.

The OP is enquiring about the 2002-2004 Corolla Verso that was Japanese built and only exported to Europe for around two years. Called the Corolla Spacio in Japan.

1138px-2003-2007_Toyota_Corolla_Spacio.jpg

Yours was the Turkish built Corolla Verso that replaced it - 2004 onwards.

280px-2006_Toyota_Corolla_Verso_TR_D-4D_2.2_Front.jpg

You're right. So it must have the older 2.0D engine. I would stay with the vvt-i.

Thanks Joao ,

Can you let me know why you advise against the diesel ?

was the earlier Verso fitted with the 2.0 diesel which was not as smooth and powerful as the newer 2.2 ?

Sounds like the vvti is the one to keep ?

Steve

This series of engines are the 1AD-FTV 2.0l and 115-125hp and the 2AD-FTV 2.2l and 136hp. Torque is theoretically similar, 310Nm.

As the engine reference says, the 2.2 is the evolution of the 2.0, with balancing shafts (apparently not present in the first version), higher injection pressure and more power, a flatter torque curve and lower fuel consumption. But we're talking about an engine with 15-16 years old, lots of miles and one of the biggest problems of this engines is oil consumption that gets more serious with age. If your vvt-i is working fine without any problems, I'd personally prefer to stay with a known engine/car than to go for an unknown condition one.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links