Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox jerks when put in reverse

nielshm

My Corolla 2.0 2019 has a little issue. When I start up in the morning, the gearbox jerks or makes one strong "shake" when I move into reverse. It does'nt make any difference if I take a long time to start up, fasten seatbelt, slowly move gearstick - or if I start up and go into reverse right away. 

It happens every 3. morning or so. Any one else experiences this? 

E-cvt gearbox. No ugly noises, every thing seems to work just fine, apart from the shaky startup? 

Yes, mine does the same. Not every time. In fact when the ICE has fired up, usually. I believe it is to do with the fact that the electric motor is engaged when you put it into reverse, and the CVT is disengaged. The electric motor takes you backwards, not the CVT.

Hi, the only jerks you may experience with your Toyota hybrid is happening when the car had been park on uneven terrain and it’s related to the gearbox parking lock mechanism, when ICE starts the car try to moves forward and if parking lock is in odd position will produce a slight jerks and sometimes accompanied by a slight metallic thumb, there is nothing to worry about. To prevent all these from happening since you have automatic parking brake when you stop at your chosen place put the car into N while holding the brake pedal, apply parking brake manually, release the foot brake the car should make slight move or feel like it, put into P then turn off the ignition. Next time when you start your car no thumbs no jerks as the car doesn’t relayed on parking lock to hold it stationary but has been hold exclusively by the parking brake. You can try and see if it works for you, works for me  100% without automatic hand brake., old Auris hybrid. 
Regards 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Have the same, its rly annoying. Im pretty sure its not related to parking on uneven surface. I park on even surface and it does this to me, only in the morning for the first time and only when ICE is running before first shift from P to R. 1.5y old car. Also engaging park brake manually when in N does not help. Im rly worried if something is not broken.

3 hours ago, mkolar said:

Have the same, its rly annoying. Im pretty sure its not related to parking on uneven surface. I park on even surface and it does this to me, only in the morning for the first time and only when ICE is running before first shift from P to R. 1.5y old car. Also engaging park brake manually when in N does not help. Im rly worried if something is not broken.

Hi, 

no need to worry about it, there is nothings to break inside these transmissions and this is typical way how they work. First shift after start up fr9m P to R or D can come with a clunk and shock, nothing unusual. 

• Like 1

Never noticed anything like that on mine, just the usual little shove of the drive being taken up the same as with any standard torque converter auto. I'm in the habit of leaving myself facing forwards so, most times, my initial shift will be into drive, if that makes any difference?

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 12:20 PM, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

no need to worry about it, there is nothings to break inside these transmissions and this is typical way how they work. First shift after start up fr9m P to R or D can come with a clunk and shock, nothing unusual. 

It’s just weird nobody talks about this. It feels rly weird. I checked some carsharing corollas here in the city and it did the same. But other didn’t (could be it was not standing for too long). But weird not all doing that. Regarding puting car to space by front or back doesn’t rly matter. You always goes from P to R first and that’s where it “jumps”.. maybe other users just did not notice? I just avoid it by shifting quickly befor ICE stats up. Than it does not shake. Tony you said post before that there should not be any jerks with ecvt. Why? Thank you.

I’m reading it again. Not sure if it is clear.. that shake is when I have gear in P.. ICE running, foot in brake pedal and than when I move shifter from P to R while pushing brake pedal it shakes.  It’s my first ecvt or automatic.. I had only manuals so far.

Same issues as you @mkolar. My car. 2023 corolla hybrid. 2 months old, so it pretty much brand new. It's only happened twice. Both on flat services. In park, foot on the brake and then shifting into park. With the ice on. Hard *****. Wondering if it's a transmission issue. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Markus2023 said:

…It's only happened twice…

Try to focus on if the petrol engine is running or not. It never happens in EV mode.. 

Guys I can assure you that you have no problems with your cars and all Toyota hybrids since prius gen 3 are behaving exactly the same way.
These clunk, jump or whatever you have experience is because how the transmission been designed and how it operates. It can happen in ev mode too but this will depend if the parking lock pole is in odd position.
When the engine is running it is charging the Battery too and has been loaded by the motor generator 1. If you switch to R or D in this exact moment part of this high load transfers into the wheels as extra torque which would try to move the car forward or reverse respectively, therefore a clunk, shake or slight movement can be felt.
The car brake system also automatically holds the car when you are in P and in ready mode and engine kicks in. 
I am positive that there is no problem and what you have experienced it is simply part of the hybrid system function. 👍

• Like 2

Just to add the transmission has a shock clutch to absorb any sudden movements in shifting.

• Like 1

What does it mean? I’m not a technician. But any kind of shock seems bad to me in such system? Edit: Ohh I misread it.. “shock clutch”? So there is something which is particularly designed to absorb this? And why some guys says their corollas does not do that? They did not notice or the one which does is more worn out or something?

42 minutes ago, mkolar said:

What does it mean? I’m not a technician. But any kind of shock seems bad to me in such system? Edit: Ohh I misread it.. “shock clutch”? So there is something which is particularly designed to absorb this? And why some guys says their corollas does not do that? They did not notice or the one which does is more worn out or something?

All cars does that in certain condition, some people can sense but others can’t or simply does not pay attention or care. Same as the different petrol , these cars drives much better on e5 99 instead of regular e10 95 but many can’t feel any difference. 
These cars has clutch damper very similar to manual car but it is fixed and works as dual mass flywheel to dampen excess torque caused by engine or electric motor, in addition dampen any other shocks that can occur. You can hear it as thump when engine shuts off at high rpm or you push the car sharply from standstill and engine kicks in quickly. There is also a friction plate that can slip if the torque exceeds the springs dampening. The clutch could make some horrible knocking noises if there is engine misfire as a result of other problems. 
These particular noises in these posts are absolutely nothing  to worry about and all Toyota hybrids does them from new to the end of their life. 
I have driven my current car over 210000 miles myself only and those noises happen sometimes and never went any worse after so many miles and years. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links