Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help For A Newbie?

DefiantFrog

Hey all!

For the last few years its been my dream to own a MkII MR2, however because of insurance / lack of funds its a dream I've never been able to fulfill... Until now... :)

Sadly, life is never easy... All my previous cars have had a requirements list, and the dream I would dearly love does not escape this. I am a drummer. I need space to put a drum kit.

Yeah yeah, so maybe I'm missing the point somewhat with the whole 2-seater thing, and a boot big enough to fit the week's shopping, and that's about it, but I am hoping that some advice can be offered...?

So my questions:

1) Is there anyone else in the same boat as me? Is it possible to fit a (minimum) 4-Piece kit, with 24" hard cymbal case and small(ish) harware chest, along with a couple of other pro-camera case sized boxes in a MkII MR2? I suspect it is, but don't wanna splash out so much money on something only to bring it home and find I can't. Before anyone suggests, I've asked dealers about either me test driving one to my house to try it, or to bring my kit to their forecourt and try it. I'm sick of being laughed at.

2) Now, this is a big ask... Is there anyone in the Derby area with a MkII '2 that would let me try it in their car? I'm more than prepared to travel for the opportunity to try, and will be forever in your debt if you are willing....??

Responses eagerly awaited...

hi mate.

firstly welcome to the club,

secondly, being JAE weekend, most people are at the show... but, im sure you will get responses in the week..

hi mate.

firstly welcome to the club,

secondly, being JAE weekend, most people are at the show... but, im sure you will get responses in the week..

I think you for forgot that under the front bonnet is nothing but a spare wheel ( space saver wheel ) you may get the cymbal under there and you definately would if you wanted to risk taking the spare wheel out leaving you with just the few boxes for boot

Good luck nice to see someone trying so hard for an MR2 trust me you'll love the car !!!!! so get one anyway even if they don't fit !!!!!!

I hope you manage it

ditch the spare wheel and carry tyreweld and a foot pump instead, saves loads of space, you'll defo have room then

Dude, I'm a drummer too, and you can forget getting any of your kit apart from the sticks in your 2. :lol:

Only kidding. The boot is quite big for a sports car. Most people are shocked when they see how much gear you can get in it, but realistically, if you're looking for space for your kit, get a bigger car.

To be really sure it all fits, try loading it into somebody eleses. I'm sure there must be someone else in your area with a 2! You'll find us 2 owners are a sociable bunch and very acommodating too. :yes:

If you fancy coming down to Cardiff, you can try it in mine. :D

Haha me is also a drumma!:P

anyway, i can easily get my cymbals in the front along with my sticks a double pedal, the bass drum fits in the passenger seat, and the hardward will go in the boot, thats about it though to be honest mate, not enough room for a drummer, thankfully the others in my band have bigger cars :P

Dave!

I laughed at the randomness of the question...

I'm laughing even harder at the fact that there are people in the board who actualy DO put their drum kit in an MR2!!!

Nice one!

I laughed at the randomness of the question...

I'm laughing even harder at the fact that there are people in the board who actualy DO put their drum kit in an MR2!!!

Nice one!

:)

Great! Thanks for the replies so far guys...

I guess it might help if I let you know my packing plan...?

Hardware chest in the boot, its about 48" long, and about 10"Hx10"W.

Cymbals behind the driver seat - I'm probably gonna have to buy a couple of softcases for them as my Hardcase is 24" wide / high, and I don't think it can fit between the upright of the centre console, and the side of the car.

I think my stick case (a big silver camera case) can also fit in the with cymbal bags.

8" tom, & 10" tom (both approx 8" deep) behind the passenger seat, sat stacked / side by side on top of my double pedal case (19"x11"x9.5").

12" (12" deep) tom & 14" (14" deep) tom in the passenger footwell.

The 22"x18" (20" incl hoops) bass drum on the passenger seat.

Snare drum under the bonnet, replacing my spare tyre.

Oh, n me. Driving. With a big grin... :)

Sounds ambitious, I know, but I'm always up for a challenge. Not all of it is needed either, I can live without the 8", and the 12", and I can replace my Hardware chest with a soft one, giving me more squidging room to possibly fit the 8", and the 10" in the boot with it. Its just one of those things that you can never really guess at without trying it...

EarL - I'll wait for other hopefully closer offers, but I may well take you up on that! Thanks!! :)

I gotta say I'm well impressed with the friendliness, and helpfulness of you all! Thanks a lot for making me feel welcome, and helping out!

EarL - I'll wait for other hopefully closer offers, but I may well take you up on that! Thanks!! :)

No problem. You're more than welcome, anytime mate. :thumbsup:

You can try one of these: ebay

I'm personally not willing to pay £95 for one, but they’d be useful. If you buy a tin-top or sunroof model (ie not the T-bar) you can also fit a Roof Rack. It sounds criminal to say this, but you could always pick yourself up a small trailer - the MR2 options list contained a tow bar so it will take one.

I guess it's all down to whether or not you’re willing to put up with the hassle in your drumming life in order to reap the rewards in your driving life.

A Roof Rack... nice mod ;)

A good suggestion, and thank you, but I don't think I want to risk putting my kit on one. I could live with having a suitcase of clothes bounce down a motor way when I don't secure it properly, but to see some of my drums getting squished by an 18-wheeler wouldn't fill me with joy!

And funnily enough, I've given some thought to the trailer idea! I don't know if they exist for MR2s, but you can get one with a quick release hook, so it isn't visible on the car until you attach the hook and start towing something. A trailer base second hand wouldn't cost me much, and its easy for me to patch up rusty bits (friends with welders can sometimes be useful!), then I'd be after finding someone who can easily work with fibre-glass, and have some kind of trailer body custom built in style with the MR2 body shape... Could look quite nice...??

Well, I've got a lead, I've discovered there is a MkII '2 parks under my building at work every now and again, so I've written a note to its owner to put on the windscreen next time I see it... Hopefully they'll be accomodating to odd requests! :)

Your modded trailer idea has reminded me of something I saw many years ago. My first car was a Bertone X1/9. Now for those who haven’t heard of these it was the car that Toyota copied when they made the MR2 Mk1. Imagine exactly the same layout as the Mk1 but with 1970’s Italian styling. (I know that sounds like sacrilege to say the Mk1’s a copy, but Toyota has basically admitted that they liked the idea but wanted to actually make a good car instead of the ****ty made Italian piece of junk that the X1/9 was).

Short version; back in about 97 in the X1/9 club magazine I remember seeing that someone had taken an old X1/9 and cut the thing in half (they usually rusted in half anyway – MR2 drives don’t know how blessed they are!) and created a trailer out of the boot and engine compartment of the donor car.

I don’t know if it’s cool or sad, but it’s a very funny idea for the enthusiast.

Check out the picks on this page!!! :thumbsup:

X1/9 trailer

Hey!

I've had an offer through a work mate of trying my kit in his mate's '2! Just gotta arrange a time... :)

I've had another thought about it all last night, and would like a bit more info... Does anyone know how easy it is to take the passenger seat out? I don't need it in the car when I am rehearsing / gigging, as it would be full with drums anyway, so in that sense, the seat is just wasting space, and I may as well get rid of it!!

If its not easy, I'm gonna have to find someone to do me a new "quick-release" frame for the seat. Anyone know of a company that would do such a thing?

Thanks y'all! :)

Ben

Hope you have success with the trial :D

I know it is easy enough to take out the seat, cos my sister used to have a 2, but also a rodesian ridgeback (for those who dont know, very large dog!!), so she took out the seat and he sat in the well. B)

However not sure how easy it is to get back in, when u have passengers!

I know the engineers at my work have made quick release bolts for various things!!!

If you was to take out the 4 bolts that hold your seat in and take them to your local hardware store it wouldn't cost much

the seat is quite easy to take out (about 5 Mins at most) just a little fiddly to line up when putting back in !!!!

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Gutted.......

:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

:(

Hmmm, Celica GT here I come... Its always gonna be second best though.

Thanks for all the info guys, I've picked up some good stuff from u all! I'll be sticking around the TOC, and get me some membership sorted out once I've got me a motor...

See you round!

B

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links